Jul 28, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
43-29-10, 96 points, second in the Pacific Division, seventh in the Western Conference. Lost to St. Louis (4-1) in the conference quarterfinals.
First round, 17th overall — Tomas Hertl (Slavia, Czech Republic)
Despite a disappointing 2011-12 campaign and the subsequent questioning of Todd McLellan’s and Doug Wilson’s job security, the Sharks went largely unchanged. For some, that was an odd decision given San Jose posted its lowest point total in six seasons.
Wilson’s lone noteworthy acquisitions were defenseman Brad Stuart (who returned to the Bay Area to play in a top-four role) and Adam Burish, brought aboard to add more sandpaper to the lineup (Burish wasted no time confirming he’d add abrasiveness.) The Sharks signed steady defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic to a five-year extension and re-upped with TJ Galiardi, but lost bottom-six forwards Daniel Winnik and Torrey Mitchell to free agency.
The most noteworthy changes occurred behind the bench, where Hockey Hall of Famer Larry Robinson and ex-Caps assistant Jim Johnson came aboard as McLellan’s right-hand men. Robinson’s presence looms large, given he’s won a Stanley Cup as a head coach (and lost a Cup finals as well) — but while it might look like he’s a coach-in-waiting should McLellan get fired, Big Bird insisted he’s not there to take McLellan’s job.
Robinson’s job, one would assume, is to fix San Jose’s penalty kill. The Sharks were awful while shorthanded a season ago, finishing 29th in the NHL on the PK (76.9 percent).
One thing to watch will be how Wilson treats his roster as the start of the season draws near. He’s got a history of shaking things up (see: Dany Heatley, Brent Burns, Martin Havlat) and has been uncharacteristically silent on the trade front…so far.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Sharks’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)