Jul 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move on to the San Jose Sharks.
After making it all the way to the Western Conference finals in each of their previous two campaigns, the San Jose Sharks posted their worst record since the lockout and ended up losing in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
The Sharks have advanced to the postseason in 13 of their last 14 campaigns, but they’re still searching for their first Stanley Cup. Joe Thornton celebrated his 33rd birthday in July and Patrick Marleau will turn 33 in September.
That’s not reason enough to panic, but at the same time it is fair to say that some of the Sharks’ core players are slowly exiting their prime and if they want to take full advantage of their services, they need to act swiftly. Despite that, the Sharks decided to largely maintain the status quo this summer, with their only major change being the acquisition of Brad Stuart.
Is that enough to push the Sharks over the edge? Stick with PHT today as we examine that and other questions.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)