Jul 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move on to the San Jose Sharks.
After making it all the way to the Western Conference finals in each of their previous two campaigns, the San Jose Sharks posted their worst record since the lockout and ended up losing in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
The Sharks have advanced to the postseason in 13 of their last 14 campaigns, but they’re still searching for their first Stanley Cup. Joe Thornton celebrated his 33rd birthday in July and Patrick Marleau will turn 33 in September.
That’s not reason enough to panic, but at the same time it is fair to say that some of the Sharks’ core players are slowly exiting their prime and if they want to take full advantage of their services, they need to act swiftly. Despite that, the Sharks decided to largely maintain the status quo this summer, with their only major change being the acquisition of Brad Stuart.
Is that enough to push the Sharks over the edge? Stick with PHT today as we examine that and other questions.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)