Jul 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move on to the San Jose Sharks.
After making it all the way to the Western Conference finals in each of their previous two campaigns, the San Jose Sharks posted their worst record since the lockout and ended up losing in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
The Sharks have advanced to the postseason in 13 of their last 14 campaigns, but they’re still searching for their first Stanley Cup. Joe Thornton celebrated his 33rd birthday in July and Patrick Marleau will turn 33 in September.
That’s not reason enough to panic, but at the same time it is fair to say that some of the Sharks’ core players are slowly exiting their prime and if they want to take full advantage of their services, they need to act swiftly. Despite that, the Sharks decided to largely maintain the status quo this summer, with their only major change being the acquisition of Brad Stuart.
Is that enough to push the Sharks over the edge? Stick with PHT today as we examine that and other questions.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)