Jul 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move on to the San Jose Sharks.
After making it all the way to the Western Conference finals in each of their previous two campaigns, the San Jose Sharks posted their worst record since the lockout and ended up losing in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
The Sharks have advanced to the postseason in 13 of their last 14 campaigns, but they’re still searching for their first Stanley Cup. Joe Thornton celebrated his 33rd birthday in July and Patrick Marleau will turn 33 in September.
That’s not reason enough to panic, but at the same time it is fair to say that some of the Sharks’ core players are slowly exiting their prime and if they want to take full advantage of their services, they need to act swiftly. Despite that, the Sharks decided to largely maintain the status quo this summer, with their only major change being the acquisition of Brad Stuart.
Is that enough to push the Sharks over the edge? Stick with PHT today as we examine that and other questions.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)