Jul 28, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
One of the biggest newsmakers of the NHL offseason turns 28 today — happy birthday, Zach Parise.
The Minnesota Wild, Parise’s new team, sent a congratulatory note via Twitter:
Parise has plenty of reasons to celebrate the big two-eight — next season, he’ll have the NHL’s eighth-largest cap hit ($7,538,462) — tied with teammate Ryan Suter, who’s 27.
Of note, Parise’s one of the oldest big money earners in the league next year. Of the top 10 biggest cap hits, six are 27 or younger (Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Shea Weber, Eric Staal, Suter) and the oldest is 32-year-old Vincent Lecavalier, who will make $7,727,273.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)