Jul 28, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
One of the biggest newsmakers of the NHL offseason turns 28 today — happy birthday, Zach Parise.
The Minnesota Wild, Parise’s new team, sent a congratulatory note via Twitter:
Parise has plenty of reasons to celebrate the big two-eight — next season, he’ll have the NHL’s eighth-largest cap hit ($7,538,462) — tied with teammate Ryan Suter, who’s 27.
Of note, Parise’s one of the oldest big money earners in the league next year. Of the top 10 biggest cap hits, six are 27 or younger (Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Shea Weber, Eric Staal, Suter) and the oldest is 32-year-old Vincent Lecavalier, who will make $7,727,273.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40