Jul 28, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
One of the biggest newsmakers of the NHL offseason turns 28 today — happy birthday, Zach Parise.
The Minnesota Wild, Parise’s new team, sent a congratulatory note via Twitter:
Parise has plenty of reasons to celebrate the big two-eight — next season, he’ll have the NHL’s eighth-largest cap hit ($7,538,462) — tied with teammate Ryan Suter, who’s 27.
Of note, Parise’s one of the oldest big money earners in the league next year. Of the top 10 biggest cap hits, six are 27 or younger (Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Shea Weber, Eric Staal, Suter) and the oldest is 32-year-old Vincent Lecavalier, who will make $7,727,273.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)