Jul 28, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
One of the biggest newsmakers of the NHL offseason turns 28 today — happy birthday, Zach Parise.
The Minnesota Wild, Parise’s new team, sent a congratulatory note via Twitter:
Parise has plenty of reasons to celebrate the big two-eight — next season, he’ll have the NHL’s eighth-largest cap hit ($7,538,462) — tied with teammate Ryan Suter, who’s 27.
Of note, Parise’s one of the oldest big money earners in the league next year. Of the top 10 biggest cap hits, six are 27 or younger (Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Shea Weber, Eric Staal, Suter) and the oldest is 32-year-old Vincent Lecavalier, who will make $7,727,273.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)