Jul 28, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Perhaps the most meaningful visits ended up benefiting American troops, as Brown helped raise more than $12,000 in donations.
Brown and his family brought the Cup to the gravestone of Christopher Bordoni, his wife Nicole’s cousin, a Marine who died in January as a result of injuries suffered in Afghanistan. Bordoni was serving his second tour of duty when he was critically wounded during a suicide attack. He was scheduled to return home in February.
Brown used another part of the day to benefit other soldiers who were injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fans weren’t required to donate money for their pictures with the Cup, but many did. A total of $12,176 was raised, all of which will go The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a charity set up to provide injured and critically ill service members and their families with immediate financial and quality-of-life solutions.
There were light-hearted moments, too, including eating frozen yogurt out of the Cup – which elicited a “brain freeze” for Brown.
Brown also posed for pictures and visited two rinks where he played hockey as a high schooler in Ithaca, N.Y. during his jam-packed day.
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)