Jul 28, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Perhaps the most meaningful visits ended up benefiting American troops, as Brown helped raise more than $12,000 in donations.
Brown and his family brought the Cup to the gravestone of Christopher Bordoni, his wife Nicole’s cousin, a Marine who died in January as a result of injuries suffered in Afghanistan. Bordoni was serving his second tour of duty when he was critically wounded during a suicide attack. He was scheduled to return home in February.
Brown used another part of the day to benefit other soldiers who were injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fans weren’t required to donate money for their pictures with the Cup, but many did. A total of $12,176 was raised, all of which will go The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a charity set up to provide injured and critically ill service members and their families with immediate financial and quality-of-life solutions.
There were light-hearted moments, too, including eating frozen yogurt out of the Cup – which elicited a “brain freeze” for Brown.
Brown also posed for pictures and visited two rinks where he played hockey as a high schooler in Ithaca, N.Y. during his jam-packed day.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 11
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 64
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)