Jul 28, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Perhaps the most meaningful visits ended up benefiting American troops, as Brown helped raise more than $12,000 in donations.
Brown and his family brought the Cup to the gravestone of Christopher Bordoni, his wife Nicole’s cousin, a Marine who died in January as a result of injuries suffered in Afghanistan. Bordoni was serving his second tour of duty when he was critically wounded during a suicide attack. He was scheduled to return home in February.
Brown used another part of the day to benefit other soldiers who were injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fans weren’t required to donate money for their pictures with the Cup, but many did. A total of $12,176 was raised, all of which will go The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a charity set up to provide injured and critically ill service members and their families with immediate financial and quality-of-life solutions.
There were light-hearted moments, too, including eating frozen yogurt out of the Cup – which elicited a “brain freeze” for Brown.
Brown also posed for pictures and visited two rinks where he played hockey as a high schooler in Ithaca, N.Y. during his jam-packed day.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)