Jul 28, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Perhaps the most meaningful visits ended up benefiting American troops, as Brown helped raise more than $12,000 in donations.
Brown and his family brought the Cup to the gravestone of Christopher Bordoni, his wife Nicole’s cousin, a Marine who died in January as a result of injuries suffered in Afghanistan. Bordoni was serving his second tour of duty when he was critically wounded during a suicide attack. He was scheduled to return home in February.
Brown used another part of the day to benefit other soldiers who were injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fans weren’t required to donate money for their pictures with the Cup, but many did. A total of $12,176 was raised, all of which will go The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a charity set up to provide injured and critically ill service members and their families with immediate financial and quality-of-life solutions.
There were light-hearted moments, too, including eating frozen yogurt out of the Cup – which elicited a “brain freeze” for Brown.
Brown also posed for pictures and visited two rinks where he played hockey as a high schooler in Ithaca, N.Y. during his jam-packed day.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 45
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 74
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63