Jul 28, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
Perhaps the most meaningful visits ended up benefiting American troops, as Brown helped raise more than $12,000 in donations.
Brown and his family brought the Cup to the gravestone of Christopher Bordoni, his wife Nicole’s cousin, a Marine who died in January as a result of injuries suffered in Afghanistan. Bordoni was serving his second tour of duty when he was critically wounded during a suicide attack. He was scheduled to return home in February.
Brown used another part of the day to benefit other soldiers who were injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fans weren’t required to donate money for their pictures with the Cup, but many did. A total of $12,176 was raised, all of which will go The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, a charity set up to provide injured and critically ill service members and their families with immediate financial and quality-of-life solutions.
There were light-hearted moments, too, including eating frozen yogurt out of the Cup – which elicited a “brain freeze” for Brown.
Brown also posed for pictures and visited two rinks where he played hockey as a high schooler in Ithaca, N.Y. during his jam-packed day.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)