Jul 27, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
There’s no question that Adam Henrique was one of the more pleasant surprises of 2011-12.
He had 16 goals and 51 points in 74 games to finish third among rookies in points. He averaged 18:09 minutes per game and, with Travis Zajac out for most of the regular season, served admirably as the team’s top-line center.
But how much of do his rookie numbers, particularly that points total, reflect his current abilities and how much are they the result of the amazing opportunity he was given?
For a healthy portion of the regular season, he got to play alongside Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk. That’s bound to help any player and Parise in particular ended up with a goal or assist on 29 of Henrique’s 51 points. Obviously the two won’t play together next season and it remains to be seen if he’ll end up on the same line as Kovalchuk now that Zajac is healthy.
In the playoffs, when Zajac was back to getting big minutes, the Henrique-Parise-Kovalchuk line was not nearly as common. Still, Henrique held his own with five goals and 13 points in 24 games to go along with a team-leading plus-12 rating. On top of that, he was a clutch performer, scoring three game-winning goals, including the overtime series winner in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals versus the New York Rangers.
So Henrique has shown that he’s more than just the guy who was able to develop some good on-ice chemistry with superstars. Even if he doesn’t end up playing on the top line next season, he should still be able to provide the Devils with some secondary scoring. Which they’ll certainly need now that Parise’s gone.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)