Jul 27, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
From the Buffalo Sabres official Twitter feed:
It was two weeks ago that Ott, who wore No. 29 in Dallas, said he’d reduce his numerical value by 20.
“Getting asked a lot,” he tweeted. “I’m excited to wear no. ‘9’ my minor hockey number and I thought it would be easy for Blo [B-Lo] fans to replace the name bar.”
What a guy. So thoughtful.
(Fun fact: Over the last decade, Ott’s had a tough time getting his hands on No. 9. He couldn’t wear it in junior as it was retired by OHL Winsdor to honor Adam Graves. When he got to Dallas, it was in use by franchise legend Mike Modano and hasn’t been issued since Modano left.)
While a cool initiative, the nameplate swap isn’t entirely original.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)