Jul 27, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
From the Buffalo Sabres official Twitter feed:
It was two weeks ago that Ott, who wore No. 29 in Dallas, said he’d reduce his numerical value by 20.
“Getting asked a lot,” he tweeted. “I’m excited to wear no. ‘9’ my minor hockey number and I thought it would be easy for Blo [B-Lo] fans to replace the name bar.”
What a guy. So thoughtful.
(Fun fact: Over the last decade, Ott’s had a tough time getting his hands on No. 9. He couldn’t wear it in junior as it was retired by OHL Winsdor to honor Adam Graves. When he got to Dallas, it was in use by franchise legend Mike Modano and hasn’t been issued since Modano left.)
While a cool initiative, the nameplate swap isn’t entirely original.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)