Jul 27, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
From the Buffalo Sabres official Twitter feed:
It was two weeks ago that Ott, who wore No. 29 in Dallas, said he’d reduce his numerical value by 20.
“Getting asked a lot,” he tweeted. “I’m excited to wear no. ‘9’ my minor hockey number and I thought it would be easy for Blo [B-Lo] fans to replace the name bar.”
What a guy. So thoughtful.
(Fun fact: Over the last decade, Ott’s had a tough time getting his hands on No. 9. He couldn’t wear it in junior as it was retired by OHL Winsdor to honor Adam Graves. When he got to Dallas, it was in use by franchise legend Mike Modano and hasn’t been issued since Modano left.)
While a cool initiative, the nameplate swap isn’t entirely original.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)