Jul 27, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
Rick Nash is a very happy man. If you still have your doubts, his recent interview with WFAN in New York should set them to rest.
“It’s been a real long five months, but stayed patient and it turned out the way I wanted it to,” Nash said, as transcribed by Sports Radio Interviews.
The Rangers were at the top of Nash’s list of teams he wanted to get traded to. Part of the reason for that was the glowing recommendation that Vinny Prospal gave.
“He said it’s a wonderful place to play,” Nash said. “He’s played in a few different places and it was one of his favorites and he said the fans are real passionate. They love their hockey and it’s one of the best in the league to play.”
Prospal spent two seasons with the Rangers before he signed with the Columbus Blue Jackets in the summer of 2011. In exchange for Nash and a conditional third-round pick, the New York Rangers gave up Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a 2013 first-round rounder. That’s not insignificant, but the Rangers were largely seen as the winners of that deal.
Nash is just happy that the Rangers were able to get him without breaking up their core.
“I didn’t want them to blow up the nucleus of the team and the players that are going to make them good,” Nash said. “That’s the reason why I wanted to come. I’m happy (with) the way it worked out. I thought Columbus got two great players and a prospect. I thought the trade worked out for both organizations.”
We have a feeling that there’s more than a couple Blue Jackets’ fans that would disagree with Nash’s assessment of the trade and the whole saga in general.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)