Jul 27, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
Rick Nash is a very happy man. If you still have your doubts, his recent interview with WFAN in New York should set them to rest.
“It’s been a real long five months, but stayed patient and it turned out the way I wanted it to,” Nash said, as transcribed by Sports Radio Interviews.
The Rangers were at the top of Nash’s list of teams he wanted to get traded to. Part of the reason for that was the glowing recommendation that Vinny Prospal gave.
“He said it’s a wonderful place to play,” Nash said. “He’s played in a few different places and it was one of his favorites and he said the fans are real passionate. They love their hockey and it’s one of the best in the league to play.”
Prospal spent two seasons with the Rangers before he signed with the Columbus Blue Jackets in the summer of 2011. In exchange for Nash and a conditional third-round pick, the New York Rangers gave up Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a 2013 first-round rounder. That’s not insignificant, but the Rangers were largely seen as the winners of that deal.
Nash is just happy that the Rangers were able to get him without breaking up their core.
“I didn’t want them to blow up the nucleus of the team and the players that are going to make them good,” Nash said. “That’s the reason why I wanted to come. I’m happy (with) the way it worked out. I thought Columbus got two great players and a prospect. I thought the trade worked out for both organizations.”
We have a feeling that there’s more than a couple Blue Jackets’ fans that would disagree with Nash’s assessment of the trade and the whole saga in general.
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 0
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8