Rick Nash: “It’s been a real long five months”

Jul 27, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT

Rick Nash AP

Rick Nash is a very happy man. If you still have your doubts, his recent interview with WFAN in New York should set them to rest.

“It’s been a real long five months, but stayed patient and it turned out the way I wanted it to,” Nash said, as transcribed by Sports Radio Interviews.

The Rangers were at the top of Nash’s list of teams he wanted to get traded to. Part of the reason for that was the glowing recommendation that Vinny Prospal gave.

“He said it’s a wonderful place to play,” Nash said. “He’s played in a few different places and it was one of his favorites and he said the fans are real passionate. They love their hockey and it’s one of the best in the league to play.”

Prospal spent two seasons with the Rangers before he signed with the Columbus Blue Jackets in the summer of 2011. In exchange for Nash and a conditional third-round pick, the New York Rangers gave up Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a 2013 first-round rounder. That’s not insignificant, but the Rangers were largely seen as the winners of that deal.

Nash is just happy that the Rangers were able to get him without breaking up their core.

“I didn’t want them to blow up the nucleus of the team and the players that are going to make them good,” Nash said. “That’s the reason why I wanted to come. I’m happy (with) the way it worked out. I thought Columbus got two great players and a prospect. I thought the trade worked out for both organizations.”

We have a feeling that there’s more than a couple Blue Jackets’ fans that would disagree with Nash’s assessment of the trade and the whole saga in general.

1. muir6 - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Cup please

2. soupcanxtrabeefy - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

he will demand a trade as soon he runs into soup can and will be playing in the khl by mid october. The headline should have read “i’ve never seen one so long” Stay beefy

• windmiller4 - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Where do you even come up with these stupid comments? like how did you ever think of a canadian star like nash going to the khl? and why do you have such an obsession with crosbys penis? also, to answer the only comeback a narrow minded penguins fan like yourself would ask, no, im not a flyers fan

3. mclovinhockey - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Where do you find the time to make all these profiles?? I mean, first you have to create an email, next a name, then wait the 6-24 hours it takes for them to okay you, then you can sign in and make your pointless comment, sign out and like and respond to the comment with several profiles, then start it all over again next post….
    Damn it, your 12 aren’t you? It’s clear you don’t have a job…. Or school right now… And can’t have a civilized conversation….. Nor do you have a girl friend or any real close friends for that matter…

• barkar942 - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

But he has a replica of “The Soup Can” in his dresser drawer.
      (We won’t make unnecessary comments about what he does with it).

4. scottybcboy - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I really believe that the Jackets made out better than most people think. This is not the NBA, superstars do not guarantee success, depth is the key to success. Two top nine centers+ for an elite winger is not a bad deal.

• stakex - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Dubinsky plays center at times, but hes pretty much been a winger as of late… and thats what hes listed as. So its two top 9 forwards, not centers (though for Columbus both will be top 6 forwards).

Still though, you are right… Columbus didn’t get screwed nearly as much as some people thing. Does the deal favor the Ragners a bit perhaps? Yes. However Columbus was the team that was forced to trade Nash, so of course they are going to be the losers in the deal. I think the real problem is that because Howson was asking for such a high price all thse months, people actually started to think thats what Nash was worth. He wasn’t of course, and thats why this deal isn’t out of this world unfair.

5. pithockey - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Lol mclovinhockey I was wondering the same thing I mean he has like 20 accounts… How do you do it?

6. broadstbully33 - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM

if we all ignore him he will go away or at least school starts soon lol

7. bigoldorcafromvan - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I am glad Rick Nash found a team that could make a deal with Howson. This has taken way too much time. Having said that. The Rangers are no closer to the cup than what they were last year.

• stakex - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I disagree.

The one and only thing the Ragners lacked last year was scoring. Thye have now added a solid 30 goal scorer, and will have Chris Kreider playing a full NHL season. They are now a more dangerous offensive team then they were last year, by quite a bit I might add.

So if the only thing that really kept them from making a deeper run last year was offense, and they fixed it quite well this offseason…. how are they NOT closer to the cup?

8. cameltoews - Jul 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Mclovin I totally agree with you. This a$$clown kid just ruins threads with his dreams of Sid tea bagging him while trolling the Internet in his mothers horrible run-down Pittsburgh shack. His father is nowhere to be found after losing his job at the local steel mill. So, he lashes out on pro hockey talk threads hoping his father returns.

9. cameltoews - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I also read an article that Sauer was making great strides in his comeback from the concussion he suffered. If he can come back to form the rangers also upgraded there already outstanding D. I hope the rangers do not offer Doan what he is asking for but if somehow they land him to the Rangers hands down win the offseason. (and yes I know minn got parise and Suter but they have yet to show they can contend)

10. blueshirtspride99 - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I love the Nash deal, it boosts their offense big time! Especially with Gabby being out in the beginning of the season. I honestly see Gabby getting traded of he doesn’t produce by half way thru the season. With Nash and the young talent, it will clear more space up “granted Doan doesn’t sign in NY”. Sauer is a must return if they plan on making another run!! Defense is key in Tort’s system–all built around helping Hank out on the back end.

11. blueshirtspride99 - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Take a run at Bobby Ryan and then let Gabby go after his contract is up or trade him. He has Jagr-ism at times, plays when he wants to, hurt or not! And I’m a NYR fan, everyone can see it

12. jacketsfan7 - Jul 28, 2012 at 7:28 AM

See ya nasher

13. ironmike778 - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

A long 5 months, Rick? Tell me about it. Try having to listen to the Rick Nash saga for that long. You’d think the guy was Gretzky and Orr rolled into one!

• rgotoguy - Jul 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I agree 100%! Having the “Rick Nash” saga thrown in our faces every day the for the last five months has been painful. Glad its over, personally I think the guy is very very overrated, along with Suter and Parise as well. All three were so coveted and now (Suter/Parise) overpaid because the free agent pool was so poor this summer.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches