Jul 27, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
Rick Nash spent the last few days getting familiar with his new surroundings. He was a guest instructor at a Rangers’ youth hockey camp, went out for dinner with Brad Richards and made plans to go house-hunting in the Big Apple.
Oh yeah, he also spoke with his new coach.
Andrew Gross of the Bergen Record caught up with Nash on Thursday and learned No. 61′s first call with John Tortorella was…passionate.
“[Tortorella] called me right after the deal went down,” Nash said. “He seemed really intense but he seemed really helpful.
“From what I understand, he’s a very demanding and tough guy to play for and he really preaches hard work. That’s what you expect from a coach, that’s what you want.”
While no specifics were revealed, the call probably involved some talk of line combos, specifically the one most New York fans dream about — a first line with Nash, Richards and last year’s leading goalscorer, Marian Gaborik.
The Slovakian sniper is out until December after shoulder surgery, but Gross noted Tortorella “could put the three All-Stars together” when Gaborik returns to full health.
That’s fine with Nash, who added he can play either left or right wing.
“I like both for different reasons,” he said. “Left, I like coming out of my own end with my stick protecting me. And right, I like having my stick in the middle to shoot and protecting the puck.”
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 27
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles