Jordan Staal dons ‘Canes uni: “I look pretty good in red”

Jul 27, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT

Staal Canes

The Hurricanes’ prized summer acquisition — Jordan Staal — was in Carolina on Friday try on his new jersey and go house hunting in Raleigh.

Staal also spoke with The News & Observer about how excited he is to play alongside his brother, Eric.

“We knew the family thing was a very intriguing part of this whole thing,” Jordan said. “To play against two brothers in the NHL is pretty awesome, but to play alongside your brother, both in the primes of our careers, is very, very exciting.

“As a family, for me and Eric especially, we’re ecstatic to have this come together as it did.”

Jordan also said he and Eric were fired up about Carolina signing former Capitals sniper Alex Semin. ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller has already suggested putting Semin on a line with the Staals, and the brothers said they talked Thursday about bringing Semin into the fold.

“I know Alexander can really do some damage and play some great hockey,” Jordan said. “For myself, I’m just going to keep doing what I’ve been doing and hopefully keep getting better.”

As for changing uniforms after playing over 500 games in Penguins colors?

No problem.

“I think I look pretty good in red,” Jordan said.

1. claysbar - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Man that looks weird. Good luck Staalsy!!

2. soupcanxtrabeefy - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Thats cause you looked terrible in soupcan black. STAY GIRTHY

• tbbolts91 - Jul 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM

go to hell

3. Stiller43 - Jul 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Jordan, i love you, but you actually dont!

Best of luck and lets go pens!

4. sjsharks66 - Jul 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

He looked better in black and Vegas gold. Haha

5. dkphilly1122 - Jul 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I think Jordan looks great in Red as a Flyer’s fan. He was the only Penguin to show up against us in the Playoffs. Goodluck Jordan, seriously you’re better as a Cane and get to show you’re a number 1 center, not 3rd.

6. lonespeed - Jul 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Looks good to me. Going to look even better when Eric is passing the Stanley Cup over to him.

7. earlcpeacock - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM

hahahaha lonespeed wat planet are you living on??? they will not beat the franchise

8. rushledger - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Is Jared every gonna make his NHL debut? If I was the coach or GM of a team that was that bad last season Id call up the kid brother of the guy who’s my franchise player what’s the worst that would have happened? They missed the playoffs? Yea..

9. steelturf76 - Jul 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

As a die hard Pens fan it saddens me to see Jordan Staal in a different uniform, but with that said I understand where he wants to show the hockey world that he is more deserving of a player than to be a 3rd line center. He will truly be missed and I wish him all the best and a healthy career. He was a beast and one of the best 2 way players in the game but he was overshadowed by Crosby and Malkin to receive the credit he very well deserved. This is the break he needed as a player to finally show off to everyone outside of Pittsburgh what kind of dominant player he really is.

Worst team in the NHL?