Jul 27, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
Enstrom, 28, has spent his entire five-year career with the Jets/Thrashers organization, emerging as one of the league’s better offensive defensemen.
In 2007-08, he parlayed a 5G-33A-38PTS season into a spot on the NHL’s All-Rookie team and in 2010-11, earned his first All-Star team nod by posting 10 goals and 41 assists (he finished t-5th among all defensemen with 51 points.)
Enstrom is the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise leader amongst defensemen in games played, points and assists.
Enstrom signed the extension with one year left on his four-year, $15 million deal that paid $3.75 million annually. He was set to become a UFA next summer, but it’s clear the Jets wanted no part of him flirting with free agency.
The signing is the latest in what’s been a busy summer in the ‘Peg:
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 29
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)