Jul 27, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Enstrom, 28, has spent his entire five-year career with the Jets/Thrashers organization, emerging as one of the league’s better offensive defensemen.
In 2007-08, he parlayed a 5G-33A-38PTS season into a spot on the NHL’s All-Rookie team and in 2010-11, earned his first All-Star team nod by posting 10 goals and 41 assists (he finished t-5th among all defensemen with 51 points.)
Enstrom is the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise leader amongst defensemen in games played, points and assists.
Enstrom signed the extension with one year left on his four-year, $15 million deal that paid $3.75 million annually. He was set to become a UFA next summer, but it’s clear the Jets wanted no part of him flirting with free agency.
The signing is the latest in what’s been a busy summer in the ‘Peg:
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)