Jul 27, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we move on to the New Jersey Devils.
After missing the playoffs altogether in 2010-11, the Devils fell two wins short of winning their fourth Stanley Cup.
Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to keep Zach Parise with the team that drafted him; their captain opted for the Minnesota Wild instead.
Still, if last season’s results are any indication, this could be a good team anyway. Both aging goalies Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg join Bryce Salvador, Mark Fayne and even Steve Bernier as returning free agents.
Without a splashy addition to ease the loss of Parise, the Devils are counting on the ascension of Adam Henrique, a staggering array of contract years and Ilya Kovalchuk‘s continued brilliance to drive their offense.
Can the Devils defy conventional wisdom once again or will they come back to Earth? Stick with PHT today to study the biggest factors.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)