Jul 27, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
Who knows if Ryan Getzlaf will even represent Team Canada in the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, but if he does, he’ll miss one game of the tournament.
According to Sportsnet, that’s the decision the IIHF disciplinary panel came to after Getzlaf kneed Slovakia’s Juraj Mikus in their Quarterfinals match back in May. Slovakia won that game and eliminated Canada, so there was no need to reach a verdict quickly.
The panel doesn’t think that Getzlaf’s kneeing was intentional, but they ruled that it was still potentially dangerous. Mikus was healthy enough to stay in the tournament and Slovakia ended up winning the silver medal.
Getzlaf has the option to appeal the ruling to the IIHF council.
Of course, we’re sure Getzlaf is hoping to enjoy a long playoff run in 2013, which would prevent him from playing in the next tournament. It’s also worth noting that Getzlaf is currently scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013 and he might be reluctant to play in the tournament unless he has re-signed before it begins. Otherwise, he will put himself in danger of suffering an injury that could potentially hinder him in his contract negotiations.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks