Jul 27, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
Who knows if Ryan Getzlaf will even represent Team Canada in the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, but if he does, he’ll miss one game of the tournament.
According to Sportsnet, that’s the decision the IIHF disciplinary panel came to after Getzlaf kneed Slovakia’s Juraj Mikus in their Quarterfinals match back in May. Slovakia won that game and eliminated Canada, so there was no need to reach a verdict quickly.
The panel doesn’t think that Getzlaf’s kneeing was intentional, but they ruled that it was still potentially dangerous. Mikus was healthy enough to stay in the tournament and Slovakia ended up winning the silver medal.
Getzlaf has the option to appeal the ruling to the IIHF council.
Of course, we’re sure Getzlaf is hoping to enjoy a long playoff run in 2013, which would prevent him from playing in the next tournament. It’s also worth noting that Getzlaf is currently scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013 and he might be reluctant to play in the tournament unless he has re-signed before it begins. Otherwise, he will put himself in danger of suffering an injury that could potentially hinder him in his contract negotiations.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)