Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s offseason was marked by a pair of wrist surgeries that left him with casts on both arms.
But now, the plaster is off and things are essentially back to normal — save two surgical scars on his wrists.
Giroux recently opened up to The Timmins Press about his scars, wrists (one of which was fractured) and, most interestingly, how he was injured in the first place.
“Those are from Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists.
“I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”
This is just the latest salvo in the Crosby-Giroux rivalry, one that followed this:
With the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry fallen on hard times (in that it’s been non-existent for two years,) shouldn’t more emphasis should be put on Crosby-Giroux as the marquee superstar rivalry in the NHL?
Think about it: Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other, the Pens and Flyers play each other all the time and in terms of star profile — Philly head coach Peter Laviolette is on record saying Giroux’s the best player in the world.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)