Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s offseason was marked by a pair of wrist surgeries that left him with casts on both arms.
But now, the plaster is off and things are essentially back to normal — save two surgical scars on his wrists.
Giroux recently opened up to The Timmins Press about his scars, wrists (one of which was fractured) and, most interestingly, how he was injured in the first place.
“Those are from Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists.
“I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”
This is just the latest salvo in the Crosby-Giroux rivalry, one that followed this:
With the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry fallen on hard times (in that it’s been non-existent for two years,) shouldn’t more emphasis should be put on Crosby-Giroux as the marquee superstar rivalry in the NHL?
Think about it: Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other, the Pens and Flyers play each other all the time and in terms of star profile — Philly head coach Peter Laviolette is on record saying Giroux’s the best player in the world.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL