Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EST
Claude Giroux‘s offseason was marked by a pair of wrist surgeries that left him with casts on both arms.
But now, the plaster is off and things are essentially back to normal — save two surgical scars on his wrists.
Giroux recently opened up to The Timmins Press about his scars, wrists (one of which was fractured) and, most interestingly, how he was injured in the first place.
“Those are from Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists.
“I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”
This is just the latest salvo in the Crosby-Giroux rivalry, one that followed this:
With the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry fallen on hard times (in that it’s been non-existent for two years,) shouldn’t more emphasis should be put on Crosby-Giroux as the marquee superstar rivalry in the NHL?
Think about it: Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other, the Pens and Flyers play each other all the time and in terms of star profile — Philly head coach Peter Laviolette is on record saying Giroux’s the best player in the world.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)