Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s offseason was marked by a pair of wrist surgeries that left him with casts on both arms.
But now, the plaster is off and things are essentially back to normal — save two surgical scars on his wrists.
Giroux recently opened up to The Timmins Press about his scars, wrists (one of which was fractured) and, most interestingly, how he was injured in the first place.
“Those are from Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists.
“I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”
This is just the latest salvo in the Crosby-Giroux rivalry, one that followed this:
With the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry fallen on hard times (in that it’s been non-existent for two years,) shouldn’t more emphasis should be put on Crosby-Giroux as the marquee superstar rivalry in the NHL?
Think about it: Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other, the Pens and Flyers play each other all the time and in terms of star profile — Philly head coach Peter Laviolette is on record saying Giroux’s the best player in the world.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)