Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s offseason was marked by a pair of wrist surgeries that left him with casts on both arms.
But now, the plaster is off and things are essentially back to normal — save two surgical scars on his wrists.
Giroux recently opened up to The Timmins Press about his scars, wrists (one of which was fractured) and, most interestingly, how he was injured in the first place.
“Those are from Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists.
“I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”
This is just the latest salvo in the Crosby-Giroux rivalry, one that followed this:
With the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry fallen on hard times (in that it’s been non-existent for two years,) shouldn’t more emphasis should be put on Crosby-Giroux as the marquee superstar rivalry in the NHL?
Think about it: Pittsburgh and Philly hate each other, the Pens and Flyers play each other all the time and in terms of star profile — Philly head coach Peter Laviolette is on record saying Giroux’s the best player in the world.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)