Jul 27, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
There will be some competition to back up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary this season.
That’s the news out of Calgary today as the Flames announced they’ve re-signed RFA goalie Leland Irving to a one-year, two-way deal worth $687,500 at the NHL level, $207,500 at the AHL level.
Irving, 23, was part of the deep goaltending class of 2006, taken 26th overall (Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius and Semyon Varlamov went ahead of Irving; Michal Neuvirth and Jhonas Enroth went soon after.)
He’s played almost exclusively for AHL Abbotsford over the last two years but did make his NHL debut in 2011-12, appearing in seven games while posting a 1-3-3 record with a 3.20 GAA and .912 save percentage.
In a press release, Flames GM Jay Feaster said Irving will compete in “what should be a hard-fought and spirited battle in training camp” with Calgary’s other backup netminder, Henrik Karlsson.
Irving’s also believed to be the only player in NHL history named “Leland.” So he’s got that going for him.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal