Jul 27, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
There will be some competition to back up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary this season.
That’s the news out of Calgary today as the Flames announced they’ve re-signed RFA goalie Leland Irving to a one-year, two-way deal worth $687,500 at the NHL level, $207,500 at the AHL level.
Irving, 23, was part of the deep goaltending class of 2006, taken 26th overall (Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius and Semyon Varlamov went ahead of Irving; Michal Neuvirth and Jhonas Enroth went soon after.)
He’s played almost exclusively for AHL Abbotsford over the last two years but did make his NHL debut in 2011-12, appearing in seven games while posting a 1-3-3 record with a 3.20 GAA and .912 save percentage.
In a press release, Flames GM Jay Feaster said Irving will compete in “what should be a hard-fought and spirited battle in training camp” with Calgary’s other backup netminder, Henrik Karlsson.
Irving’s also believed to be the only player in NHL history named “Leland.” So he’s got that going for him.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)