Jul 27, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
There will be some competition to back up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary this season.
That’s the news out of Calgary today as the Flames announced they’ve re-signed RFA goalie Leland Irving to a one-year, two-way deal worth $687,500 at the NHL level, $207,500 at the AHL level.
Irving, 23, was part of the deep goaltending class of 2006, taken 26th overall (Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius and Semyon Varlamov went ahead of Irving; Michal Neuvirth and Jhonas Enroth went soon after.)
He’s played almost exclusively for AHL Abbotsford over the last two years but did make his NHL debut in 2011-12, appearing in seven games while posting a 1-3-3 record with a 3.20 GAA and .912 save percentage.
In a press release, Flames GM Jay Feaster said Irving will compete in “what should be a hard-fought and spirited battle in training camp” with Calgary’s other backup netminder, Henrik Karlsson.
Irving’s also believed to be the only player in NHL history named “Leland.” So he’s got that going for him.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)