Jul 27, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
There will be some competition to back up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary this season.
That’s the news out of Calgary today as the Flames announced they’ve re-signed RFA goalie Leland Irving to a one-year, two-way deal worth $687,500 at the NHL level, $207,500 at the AHL level.
Irving, 23, was part of the deep goaltending class of 2006, taken 26th overall (Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius and Semyon Varlamov went ahead of Irving; Michal Neuvirth and Jhonas Enroth went soon after.)
He’s played almost exclusively for AHL Abbotsford over the last two years but did make his NHL debut in 2011-12, appearing in seven games while posting a 1-3-3 record with a 3.20 GAA and .912 save percentage.
In a press release, Flames GM Jay Feaster said Irving will compete in “what should be a hard-fought and spirited battle in training camp” with Calgary’s other backup netminder, Henrik Karlsson.
Irving’s also believed to be the only player in NHL history named “Leland.” So he’s got that going for him.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 4
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)