Jul 26, 2012, 10:35 AM EST
If there’s one issue in Chicago based on performances last year, it’s in goal. Both Corey Crawford and Ray Emery played very average and when you’re a team whose goal is to win the Stanley Cup, that’s just not going to get it done.
This offseason has seen one big name goalie made available through a trade in Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo and the Blackhawks apparently have interest. The question remaining here is: Why aren’t they making a bigger push to land him?
We know all about the Chicago-Vancouver rivalry and how the Blackhawks have found ways to get into Luongo’s head but when you boil down the numbers, Luongo makes Chicago perhaps the best team in the West.
If you take the numbers he put up last year in Vancouver and put a goalie of that caliber in the Windy City (.919 SV% , 2.41 GAA), suddenly Chicago isn’t just fighting for a playoff spot, they’re probably sitting atop the conference. Compare that to what Crawford did last season (.903 SV%, 2.72 GAA) and it’s a stark improvement.
Then again, the issue here might not be with Chicago, it could be all on Vancouver. After all, why would the Canucks want to find a way to help a chief rival out with a glaring issue? While the Blackhawks have reportedly dangled Dave Bolland to Vancouver, you’d have to imagine the price for Chicago to deal with them would be a bit higher.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 32
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)