Jul 26, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Not all happenings in the NHL are worth their own post, so here’s a few news makers from today.
Senators waive Butler, look to buy him out
Bobby Butler‘s days in Ottawa are at an end. The team put him on waivers and Allen Panzeri of Senators Extra says the team will look to buy him out when/if he clears. Butler had just six goals and 10 assists in 56 games last season with Ottawa and has a $1.05 million cap hit next season. That’s not a lot of bang for your buck.
Oilers re-sign Plante and VandeVelde
The Oilers re-signed defenseman Alex Plante and forward Chris VandeVelde each to one-year deals. Both players spent the majority of the year in the AHL with Oklahoma City but VandeVelde got more of a look-see playing in 17 games with Edmonton. He scored a goal and had two assists with 14 penalty minutes in that time. Plante appeared in just three games with the Oilers last year.
Former first-round pick Esposito off to Finland
Angelo Esposito’s time trying to make the NHL is at an end. The former Penguins 2007 first-round pick is headed to the Finnish elite league to play for Pelicans according to that team’s website. Esposito is most well known for being a key figure in the trade that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins from the Atlanta Thrashers. Esposito’s career has been ruined by injuries and perhaps getting away from North America will help him find his game once again.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 21
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 125
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 39
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7