Jul 26, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Not all happenings in the NHL are worth their own post, so here’s a few news makers from today.
Senators waive Butler, look to buy him out
Bobby Butler‘s days in Ottawa are at an end. The team put him on waivers and Allen Panzeri of Senators Extra says the team will look to buy him out when/if he clears. Butler had just six goals and 10 assists in 56 games last season with Ottawa and has a $1.05 million cap hit next season. That’s not a lot of bang for your buck.
Oilers re-sign Plante and VandeVelde
The Oilers re-signed defenseman Alex Plante and forward Chris VandeVelde each to one-year deals. Both players spent the majority of the year in the AHL with Oklahoma City but VandeVelde got more of a look-see playing in 17 games with Edmonton. He scored a goal and had two assists with 14 penalty minutes in that time. Plante appeared in just three games with the Oilers last year.
Former first-round pick Esposito off to Finland
Angelo Esposito’s time trying to make the NHL is at an end. The former Penguins 2007 first-round pick is headed to the Finnish elite league to play for Pelicans according to that team’s website. Esposito is most well known for being a key figure in the trade that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins from the Atlanta Thrashers. Esposito’s career has been ruined by injuries and perhaps getting away from North America will help him find his game once again.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)