Jul 26, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Not all happenings in the NHL are worth their own post, so here’s a few news makers from today.
Senators waive Butler, look to buy him out
Bobby Butler‘s days in Ottawa are at an end. The team put him on waivers and Allen Panzeri of Senators Extra says the team will look to buy him out when/if he clears. Butler had just six goals and 10 assists in 56 games last season with Ottawa and has a $1.05 million cap hit next season. That’s not a lot of bang for your buck.
Oilers re-sign Plante and VandeVelde
The Oilers re-signed defenseman Alex Plante and forward Chris VandeVelde each to one-year deals. Both players spent the majority of the year in the AHL with Oklahoma City but VandeVelde got more of a look-see playing in 17 games with Edmonton. He scored a goal and had two assists with 14 penalty minutes in that time. Plante appeared in just three games with the Oilers last year.
Former first-round pick Esposito off to Finland
Angelo Esposito’s time trying to make the NHL is at an end. The former Penguins 2007 first-round pick is headed to the Finnish elite league to play for Pelicans according to that team’s website. Esposito is most well known for being a key figure in the trade that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins from the Atlanta Thrashers. Esposito’s career has been ruined by injuries and perhaps getting away from North America will help him find his game once again.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)