Jul 26, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Not all happenings in the NHL are worth their own post, so here’s a few news makers from today.
Senators waive Butler, look to buy him out
Bobby Butler‘s days in Ottawa are at an end. The team put him on waivers and Allen Panzeri of Senators Extra says the team will look to buy him out when/if he clears. Butler had just six goals and 10 assists in 56 games last season with Ottawa and has a $1.05 million cap hit next season. That’s not a lot of bang for your buck.
Oilers re-sign Plante and VandeVelde
The Oilers re-signed defenseman Alex Plante and forward Chris VandeVelde each to one-year deals. Both players spent the majority of the year in the AHL with Oklahoma City but VandeVelde got more of a look-see playing in 17 games with Edmonton. He scored a goal and had two assists with 14 penalty minutes in that time. Plante appeared in just three games with the Oilers last year.
Former first-round pick Esposito off to Finland
Angelo Esposito’s time trying to make the NHL is at an end. The former Penguins 2007 first-round pick is headed to the Finnish elite league to play for Pelicans according to that team’s website. Esposito is most well known for being a key figure in the trade that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins from the Atlanta Thrashers. Esposito’s career has been ruined by injuries and perhaps getting away from North America will help him find his game once again.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)