Jul 26, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Not all happenings in the NHL are worth their own post, so here’s a few news makers from today.
Senators waive Butler, look to buy him out
Bobby Butler‘s days in Ottawa are at an end. The team put him on waivers and Allen Panzeri of Senators Extra says the team will look to buy him out when/if he clears. Butler had just six goals and 10 assists in 56 games last season with Ottawa and has a $1.05 million cap hit next season. That’s not a lot of bang for your buck.
Oilers re-sign Plante and VandeVelde
The Oilers re-signed defenseman Alex Plante and forward Chris VandeVelde each to one-year deals. Both players spent the majority of the year in the AHL with Oklahoma City but VandeVelde got more of a look-see playing in 17 games with Edmonton. He scored a goal and had two assists with 14 penalty minutes in that time. Plante appeared in just three games with the Oilers last year.
Former first-round pick Esposito off to Finland
Angelo Esposito’s time trying to make the NHL is at an end. The former Penguins 2007 first-round pick is headed to the Finnish elite league to play for Pelicans according to that team’s website. Esposito is most well known for being a key figure in the trade that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins from the Atlanta Thrashers. Esposito’s career has been ruined by injuries and perhaps getting away from North America will help him find his game once again.
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 1
- Lack’s Canucks win to end weekend of awkward reunions for Luongo 1
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 3
- NHL reschedules Blue Jackets-Stars game halted by Peverley collapse to April 9 1
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 8
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 17
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)