Jul 26, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils avoided arbitration by signing defenseman Mark Fayne to a nice little bargain extension, but it wasn’t clear he’d be ready to start the season.
Fayne is recovering from offseason wrist surgery, but he emphatically told Tom Gulitti that he’ll be ready “before October.”
“Definitely,” Fayne said. “I’ll be 100 percent before October.”
Fayne told Gulitti that he’ll probably be wear a cast on his wrist for another week or two, which has forced him to settle for “limited exercise.”
Fayne also said that it’s healing and “feeling a lot better,” so it appears that he should be ready for when the 2012-13 season would normally start. Training camp might not be a guarantee, though.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 0
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6