Jul 26, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
With Alexander Semin signing with the Carolina Hurricanes on a one-year, $7 million deal it presents another missed free agent opportunity for the Detroit Red Wings. According to Semin’s agent, however, it’s an opportunity Detroit wasn’t exactly chasing.
Ansar Khan of Mlive.com reports the Wings never seriously pursued the free agent Russian.
Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,” Diamond said.
It seems a bit curious that Detroit would keep their distance from Semin considering Pavel Datsyuk‘s familiarity with him, even playing on a line together during the World Championships, and the possibility he could help Semin feel more comfortable having a fellow Russian to play with there.
Detroit has now missed out on landing Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, Shea Weber, and now Semin in an offseason that sees the Wings with oodles of salary cap space to splurge on. While Suter and Parise worked out their own deal with the Wild and Weber was a RFA, landing Semin would’ve at least required a big money one-year offer.
You have to wonder if perhaps GM Ken Holland has a trick up his sleeve to go after Bobby Ryan or if perhaps he’s waiting out a possible labor storm.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)