Jul 26, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
With Alexander Semin signing with the Carolina Hurricanes on a one-year, $7 million deal it presents another missed free agent opportunity for the Detroit Red Wings. According to Semin’s agent, however, it’s an opportunity Detroit wasn’t exactly chasing.
Ansar Khan of Mlive.com reports the Wings never seriously pursued the free agent Russian.
Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,” Diamond said.
It seems a bit curious that Detroit would keep their distance from Semin considering Pavel Datsyuk‘s familiarity with him, even playing on a line together during the World Championships, and the possibility he could help Semin feel more comfortable having a fellow Russian to play with there.
Detroit has now missed out on landing Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, Shea Weber, and now Semin in an offseason that sees the Wings with oodles of salary cap space to splurge on. While Suter and Parise worked out their own deal with the Wild and Weber was a RFA, landing Semin would’ve at least required a big money one-year offer.
You have to wonder if perhaps GM Ken Holland has a trick up his sleeve to go after Bobby Ryan or if perhaps he’s waiting out a possible labor storm.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 59
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination