Jul 26, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
With Alexander Semin signing with the Carolina Hurricanes on a one-year, $7 million deal it presents another missed free agent opportunity for the Detroit Red Wings. According to Semin’s agent, however, it’s an opportunity Detroit wasn’t exactly chasing.
Ansar Khan of Mlive.com reports the Wings never seriously pursued the free agent Russian.
Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,” Diamond said.
It seems a bit curious that Detroit would keep their distance from Semin considering Pavel Datsyuk‘s familiarity with him, even playing on a line together during the World Championships, and the possibility he could help Semin feel more comfortable having a fellow Russian to play with there.
Detroit has now missed out on landing Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, Shea Weber, and now Semin in an offseason that sees the Wings with oodles of salary cap space to splurge on. While Suter and Parise worked out their own deal with the Wild and Weber was a RFA, landing Semin would’ve at least required a big money one-year offer.
You have to wonder if perhaps GM Ken Holland has a trick up his sleeve to go after Bobby Ryan or if perhaps he’s waiting out a possible labor storm.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)