Jul 26, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
With Alexander Semin signing with the Carolina Hurricanes on a one-year, $7 million deal it presents another missed free agent opportunity for the Detroit Red Wings. According to Semin’s agent, however, it’s an opportunity Detroit wasn’t exactly chasing.
Ansar Khan of Mlive.com reports the Wings never seriously pursued the free agent Russian.
Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,” Diamond said.
It seems a bit curious that Detroit would keep their distance from Semin considering Pavel Datsyuk‘s familiarity with him, even playing on a line together during the World Championships, and the possibility he could help Semin feel more comfortable having a fellow Russian to play with there.
Detroit has now missed out on landing Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, Shea Weber, and now Semin in an offseason that sees the Wings with oodles of salary cap space to splurge on. While Suter and Parise worked out their own deal with the Wild and Weber was a RFA, landing Semin would’ve at least required a big money one-year offer.
You have to wonder if perhaps GM Ken Holland has a trick up his sleeve to go after Bobby Ryan or if perhaps he’s waiting out a possible labor storm.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)