Jul 26, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
The Flyers won’t be worrying about fighting off any offer sheets for Jakub Voracek.
The team announced they’ve signed their restricted free agent to a four-year, $17 million deal to keep him in Philly. As Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com hears it from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, they’re thinking Voracek will have a bigger role next season.
“We’ve kind of envisioned Jake playing with Claude [Giroux] next year,” Holmgren said. “That’s the way we look at it.”
Voracek spent last year playing on the second line with Danny Briere, but now with Jaromir Jagr off to Dallas, the top line has a hole to fill and Claude Giroux could help Voracek break out in a big way. He scored 18 goals and had 49 points last season, but with more minutes and playing alongside Giroux, those numbers could jump in a big way.
Now the Flyers will turn their attention once again to free agent Shane Doan and see if he’ll decide to leave Phoenix. If he does, Philly will be hot after him.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)