Jul 26, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
The Flyers won’t be worrying about fighting off any offer sheets for Jakub Voracek.
The team announced they’ve signed their restricted free agent to a four-year, $17 million deal to keep him in Philly. As Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com hears it from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, they’re thinking Voracek will have a bigger role next season.
“We’ve kind of envisioned Jake playing with Claude [Giroux] next year,” Holmgren said. “That’s the way we look at it.”
Voracek spent last year playing on the second line with Danny Briere, but now with Jaromir Jagr off to Dallas, the top line has a hole to fill and Claude Giroux could help Voracek break out in a big way. He scored 18 goals and had 49 points last season, but with more minutes and playing alongside Giroux, those numbers could jump in a big way.
Now the Flyers will turn their attention once again to free agent Shane Doan and see if he’ll decide to leave Phoenix. If he does, Philly will be hot after him.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)