Jul 26, 2012, 1:39 PM EST
The Flyers won’t be worrying about fighting off any offer sheets for Jakub Voracek.
The team announced they’ve signed their restricted free agent to a four-year, $17 million deal to keep him in Philly. As Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com hears it from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, they’re thinking Voracek will have a bigger role next season.
“We’ve kind of envisioned Jake playing with Claude [Giroux] next year,” Holmgren said. “That’s the way we look at it.”
Voracek spent last year playing on the second line with Danny Briere, but now with Jaromir Jagr off to Dallas, the top line has a hole to fill and Claude Giroux could help Voracek break out in a big way. He scored 18 goals and had 49 points last season, but with more minutes and playing alongside Giroux, those numbers could jump in a big way.
Now the Flyers will turn their attention once again to free agent Shane Doan and see if he’ll decide to leave Phoenix. If he does, Philly will be hot after him.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)