Jul 26, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Some go back to the old “book” on Semin that he scores when the going is easy and then “disappears” in big moments, but Canes GM Jim Rutherford argued against that notion during an interview with FAN 590:
“I know there are different things being said out there publicly – some negative, some positive – but the fact of the matter is he’s a very talented player,” Rutherford said. “Based on our records, he’s a key player in key situations.”
Rutherford cited analytical stats in making the choice to sign Semin, claiming that his detractors haven’t “done their homework.”
Despite it just being a one-year deal, Rutherford expressed his hope that it will be “a long-term relationship” between Semin and the Hurricanes. Putting up more positive numbers would certainly improve those chances.
For more of Rutherford’s thoughts on the Semin signing and the CBA negotiations, click here.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5