Jul 25, 2012, 10:11 AM EST
Steve Staios has hung up his skates and moved right on to a new job in hockey.
After 18 seasons in the league, he’s called it a career as a player and joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as a Player Development Advisor. Staios says he’s excited to move on to a new place in his career.
“I am looking forward to doing everything I can to help the team have success. The time is right for me and my family to step away from the game that I love to play and move on to a new chapter in my life. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Brian Burke and Dave Nonis and learn from their experience and knowledge.”
In Staios’ 18 seasons in the league, he found his way on to just three playoff teams playing in just 33 career postseason games and came within one win of the Stanley Cup with the 2006 Oilers. Staios was forever a serviceable blue liner and played for six different teams in his career (Boston, Vancouver, Atlanta, Edmonton, Calgary, Islanders).
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)