Jul 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EST
Wayne Gretzky helped grow hockey in California, so why not spread the NHL to the Seattle area?
Radio host Dave “Softy” Mahler reports that Gretzky visited Bellevue, Wash., to discuss the possibility of bringing a team “to the area.”
My Northwest’s staff discusses how Gretzky’s talks with Bellevue officials might factor into – or represent competition for – Chris Hansen’s efforts to build an NBA-ready arena in Seattle.
Still, Hansen’s arena plan has been designed specifically for Seattle’s SoDo district. Some in Bellevue have pushed for the NBA/NHL facility to be located on the Eastside. Until now, investors haven’t appeared to seriously approach Bellevue.
The Seattle Times reports that voting for “an $80 million piece” of the proposal could take place on Monday in King County despite a perceived lack of information.
It’s unclear if Gretzky’s interest could be part of a Plan B for the area, part of that overall idea or merely a curious stirring of the pot at this point.
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 0
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 14
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 27
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 31
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 31
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)