Jul 25, 2012, 8:29 PM EST
Wayne Gretzky helped grow hockey in California, so why not spread the NHL to the Seattle area?
Radio host Dave “Softy” Mahler reports that Gretzky visited Bellevue, Wash., to discuss the possibility of bringing a team “to the area.”
My Northwest’s staff discusses how Gretzky’s talks with Bellevue officials might factor into – or represent competition for – Chris Hansen’s efforts to build an NBA-ready arena in Seattle.
Still, Hansen’s arena plan has been designed specifically for Seattle’s SoDo district. Some in Bellevue have pushed for the NBA/NHL facility to be located on the Eastside. Until now, investors haven’t appeared to seriously approach Bellevue.
The Seattle Times reports that voting for “an $80 million piece” of the proposal could take place on Monday in King County despite a perceived lack of information.
It’s unclear if Gretzky’s interest could be part of a Plan B for the area, part of that overall idea or merely a curious stirring of the pot at this point.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)