Jul 25, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Poile spoke at an outdoor press conference in Nashville today to celebrate the team signing Weber to Philly’s 14-year, $110 million deal. Adam Kimelman of NHL.com shares Poile’s thoughts on how keeping Weber means more than just success on the ice to Nashville.
“It wasn’t just a hockey decision,” he said. “We involved the business side and the ownership and collectively we went over the reasons why we should do it and if there were any reasons we shouldn’t do it. And I think we all came together with the same answer, and that was yes. Because we involved everyone in the organization, I think as they say, we’re in this together.
“This [retaining Weber] made the most sense. I think everybody feels they’re part of it and going forward we’re all part of this team we’re going to take to the Stanley Cup in the near future.”
Poile gave much credit to ownership for making the commitment to Weber and, through that, a commitment to winning. In the past, smaller markets were seen as feeder teams to the big spenders. The feeling in Nashville today is that they won’t let that happen to them. Now it’s up to Weber to inspire others to join him in that quest for success. It’s his team now.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 0
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 9
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)