Jul 25, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Poile spoke at an outdoor press conference in Nashville today to celebrate the team signing Weber to Philly’s 14-year, $110 million deal. Adam Kimelman of NHL.com shares Poile’s thoughts on how keeping Weber means more than just success on the ice to Nashville.
“It wasn’t just a hockey decision,” he said. “We involved the business side and the ownership and collectively we went over the reasons why we should do it and if there were any reasons we shouldn’t do it. And I think we all came together with the same answer, and that was yes. Because we involved everyone in the organization, I think as they say, we’re in this together.
“This [retaining Weber] made the most sense. I think everybody feels they’re part of it and going forward we’re all part of this team we’re going to take to the Stanley Cup in the near future.”
Poile gave much credit to ownership for making the commitment to Weber and, through that, a commitment to winning. In the past, smaller markets were seen as feeder teams to the big spenders. The feeling in Nashville today is that they won’t let that happen to them. Now it’s up to Weber to inspire others to join him in that quest for success. It’s his team now.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)