Jul 25, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Poile spoke at an outdoor press conference in Nashville today to celebrate the team signing Weber to Philly’s 14-year, $110 million deal. Adam Kimelman of NHL.com shares Poile’s thoughts on how keeping Weber means more than just success on the ice to Nashville.
“It wasn’t just a hockey decision,” he said. “We involved the business side and the ownership and collectively we went over the reasons why we should do it and if there were any reasons we shouldn’t do it. And I think we all came together with the same answer, and that was yes. Because we involved everyone in the organization, I think as they say, we’re in this together.
“This [retaining Weber] made the most sense. I think everybody feels they’re part of it and going forward we’re all part of this team we’re going to take to the Stanley Cup in the near future.”
Poile gave much credit to ownership for making the commitment to Weber and, through that, a commitment to winning. In the past, smaller markets were seen as feeder teams to the big spenders. The feeling in Nashville today is that they won’t let that happen to them. Now it’s up to Weber to inspire others to join him in that quest for success. It’s his team now.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)