Jul 25, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Poile spoke at an outdoor press conference in Nashville today to celebrate the team signing Weber to Philly’s 14-year, $110 million deal. Adam Kimelman of NHL.com shares Poile’s thoughts on how keeping Weber means more than just success on the ice to Nashville.
“It wasn’t just a hockey decision,” he said. “We involved the business side and the ownership and collectively we went over the reasons why we should do it and if there were any reasons we shouldn’t do it. And I think we all came together with the same answer, and that was yes. Because we involved everyone in the organization, I think as they say, we’re in this together.
“This [retaining Weber] made the most sense. I think everybody feels they’re part of it and going forward we’re all part of this team we’re going to take to the Stanley Cup in the near future.”
Poile gave much credit to ownership for making the commitment to Weber and, through that, a commitment to winning. In the past, smaller markets were seen as feeder teams to the big spenders. The feeling in Nashville today is that they won’t let that happen to them. Now it’s up to Weber to inspire others to join him in that quest for success. It’s his team now.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 47
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)