Jul 25, 2012, 4:17 PM EST
Poile spoke at an outdoor press conference in Nashville today to celebrate the team signing Weber to Philly’s 14-year, $110 million deal. Adam Kimelman of NHL.com shares Poile’s thoughts on how keeping Weber means more than just success on the ice to Nashville.
“It wasn’t just a hockey decision,” he said. “We involved the business side and the ownership and collectively we went over the reasons why we should do it and if there were any reasons we shouldn’t do it. And I think we all came together with the same answer, and that was yes. Because we involved everyone in the organization, I think as they say, we’re in this together.
“This [retaining Weber] made the most sense. I think everybody feels they’re part of it and going forward we’re all part of this team we’re going to take to the Stanley Cup in the near future.”
Poile gave much credit to ownership for making the commitment to Weber and, through that, a commitment to winning. In the past, smaller markets were seen as feeder teams to the big spenders. The feeling in Nashville today is that they won’t let that happen to them. Now it’s up to Weber to inspire others to join him in that quest for success. It’s his team now.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 0
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)