Jul 25, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
The day after the Preds matched turned into Philly GM Paul Holmgren’s postmortem on the affair and as Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com shares, he gave Weber his best shot but they’re moving on now.
“We looked at it as an opportunity to add one of the top defensemen, if not the top guy,” Holmgren said. “Our shot, it didn’t work. I love our defense; I love the youth of our defense. … To try and add a guy like Shea Weber doesn’t really speak to anything other than maybe you are adding one of the best guys in the league.”
As for that defense, with Luke Schenn now in town they’ve added a guy with size, but they lost some skill and mobility with Matt Carle signing in Tampa Bay. With Chris Pronger not likely to come back anytime soon, the Flyers do have some issues but Holmgren believes his young guys will fill things out.
Holmgren also says they’ll look at other guys that don’t require a trade to acquire but wouldn’t rule anything out. One thing’s for sure, never count the Flyers out of anything.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)