Jul 25, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
The day after the Preds matched turned into Philly GM Paul Holmgren’s postmortem on the affair and as Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com shares, he gave Weber his best shot but they’re moving on now.
“We looked at it as an opportunity to add one of the top defensemen, if not the top guy,” Holmgren said. “Our shot, it didn’t work. I love our defense; I love the youth of our defense. … To try and add a guy like Shea Weber doesn’t really speak to anything other than maybe you are adding one of the best guys in the league.”
As for that defense, with Luke Schenn now in town they’ve added a guy with size, but they lost some skill and mobility with Matt Carle signing in Tampa Bay. With Chris Pronger not likely to come back anytime soon, the Flyers do have some issues but Holmgren believes his young guys will fill things out.
Holmgren also says they’ll look at other guys that don’t require a trade to acquire but wouldn’t rule anything out. One thing’s for sure, never count the Flyers out of anything.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 7
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 13
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6