Jul 25, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
The day after the Preds matched turned into Philly GM Paul Holmgren’s postmortem on the affair and as Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com shares, he gave Weber his best shot but they’re moving on now.
“We looked at it as an opportunity to add one of the top defensemen, if not the top guy,” Holmgren said. “Our shot, it didn’t work. I love our defense; I love the youth of our defense. … To try and add a guy like Shea Weber doesn’t really speak to anything other than maybe you are adding one of the best guys in the league.”
As for that defense, with Luke Schenn now in town they’ve added a guy with size, but they lost some skill and mobility with Matt Carle signing in Tampa Bay. With Chris Pronger not likely to come back anytime soon, the Flyers do have some issues but Holmgren believes his young guys will fill things out.
Holmgren also says they’ll look at other guys that don’t require a trade to acquire but wouldn’t rule anything out. One thing’s for sure, never count the Flyers out of anything.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 0
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)