Jul 25, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
The day after the Preds matched turned into Philly GM Paul Holmgren’s postmortem on the affair and as Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com shares, he gave Weber his best shot but they’re moving on now.
“We looked at it as an opportunity to add one of the top defensemen, if not the top guy,” Holmgren said. “Our shot, it didn’t work. I love our defense; I love the youth of our defense. … To try and add a guy like Shea Weber doesn’t really speak to anything other than maybe you are adding one of the best guys in the league.”
As for that defense, with Luke Schenn now in town they’ve added a guy with size, but they lost some skill and mobility with Matt Carle signing in Tampa Bay. With Chris Pronger not likely to come back anytime soon, the Flyers do have some issues but Holmgren believes his young guys will fill things out.
Holmgren also says they’ll look at other guys that don’t require a trade to acquire but wouldn’t rule anything out. One thing’s for sure, never count the Flyers out of anything.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)