Jul 25, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington took a look at the Philadelphia Flyers’ suddenly worrisome offseason and concluded that it’s bad news for the Buffalo Sabres.
Most specifically, Harrington believes that high-profile strikeouts by the Flyers and other big market teams could greatly hinder the Sabres’ chances of landing two of the last promising targets: Shane Doan and Bobby Ryan.
It all comes down to the Sabres’ recruiting problem. The word gets around this is a good place to live with a great owner. But it’s not attractive to players who want to win a Stanley Cup — yet. Are you going to go to Pittsburgh, Philly or New York or come to Buffalo, where the team took a step back and didn’t even make the playoffs last season?
If Regier lands either Doan or Ryan, he’ll be pulling a major rabbit out of his hat. The Flyers, meanwhile, think they darn well better get at least one of them.
Of course, a devil’s advocate might argue that the Sabres’ “recruiting problem” boiled down to getting burnt by splashy moves last summer.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 2
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 72
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (72)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)