Jul 25, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington took a look at the Philadelphia Flyers’ suddenly worrisome offseason and concluded that it’s bad news for the Buffalo Sabres.
Most specifically, Harrington believes that high-profile strikeouts by the Flyers and other big market teams could greatly hinder the Sabres’ chances of landing two of the last promising targets: Shane Doan and Bobby Ryan.
It all comes down to the Sabres’ recruiting problem. The word gets around this is a good place to live with a great owner. But it’s not attractive to players who want to win a Stanley Cup — yet. Are you going to go to Pittsburgh, Philly or New York or come to Buffalo, where the team took a step back and didn’t even make the playoffs last season?
If Regier lands either Doan or Ryan, he’ll be pulling a major rabbit out of his hat. The Flyers, meanwhile, think they darn well better get at least one of them.
Of course, a devil’s advocate might argue that the Sabres’ “recruiting problem” boiled down to getting burnt by splashy moves last summer.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)