Jul 25, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington took a look at the Philadelphia Flyers’ suddenly worrisome offseason and concluded that it’s bad news for the Buffalo Sabres.
Most specifically, Harrington believes that high-profile strikeouts by the Flyers and other big market teams could greatly hinder the Sabres’ chances of landing two of the last promising targets: Shane Doan and Bobby Ryan.
It all comes down to the Sabres’ recruiting problem. The word gets around this is a good place to live with a great owner. But it’s not attractive to players who want to win a Stanley Cup — yet. Are you going to go to Pittsburgh, Philly or New York or come to Buffalo, where the team took a step back and didn’t even make the playoffs last season?
If Regier lands either Doan or Ryan, he’ll be pulling a major rabbit out of his hat. The Flyers, meanwhile, think they darn well better get at least one of them.
Of course, a devil’s advocate might argue that the Sabres’ “recruiting problem” boiled down to getting burnt by splashy moves last summer.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)