Jul 25, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington took a look at the Philadelphia Flyers’ suddenly worrisome offseason and concluded that it’s bad news for the Buffalo Sabres.
Most specifically, Harrington believes that high-profile strikeouts by the Flyers and other big market teams could greatly hinder the Sabres’ chances of landing two of the last promising targets: Shane Doan and Bobby Ryan.
It all comes down to the Sabres’ recruiting problem. The word gets around this is a good place to live with a great owner. But it’s not attractive to players who want to win a Stanley Cup — yet. Are you going to go to Pittsburgh, Philly or New York or come to Buffalo, where the team took a step back and didn’t even make the playoffs last season?
If Regier lands either Doan or Ryan, he’ll be pulling a major rabbit out of his hat. The Flyers, meanwhile, think they darn well better get at least one of them.
Of course, a devil’s advocate might argue that the Sabres’ “recruiting problem” boiled down to getting burnt by splashy moves last summer.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)