Jul 24, 2012, 5:43 PM EST
Despite an offer sheet tailor-made to be difficult to stomach, the Nashville Predators spurned the Philadelphia Flyers by matching Shea Weber‘s offer sheet. So how does Weber feel about remaining in Nashville?
TSN and John Glennon caught up with both of Weber’s agents to get some early reactions.
First, here are some of the highlights of what Weber Agent No. 1 Jarrett Bousquet had to say, via Glennon.
“It definitely sends a message that (the Preds’ ownership) is a solid group and they’re ready to move forward to go to the next level,” Bousquet said. “He’s glad to be back. He’s really happy ownership made the commitment to him. When I spoke to (Weber), he was going to meet with Barry (Trotz) and he’s really looking forward to getting back to work.”
Weber’s other agent Kevin Epp spoke with TSN, with transcriptions from Sean Gentille.
“Shea and us knew this could possibly happen, and I think Nashville is still, y’know, a very good organization,” Epp said. “I think the biggest thing he can do now is be the biggest promoter and recruiter to attract other free agents.”
One of the most-debated elements of the Weber discussion is whether or not the Predators will provide the defenseman with a no-trade clause after next season (teams cannot trade players for the first season of these deals). Epp said that “part of the deal was to have one” although it was a gray area of the talks.
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 8
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)