Jul 24, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
What a difference a matched offer sheet makes.
Instead of snatching up a quick Chris Pronger replacement in Shea Weber, the Philadelphia Flyers now stare at an unsettling situation on their blueline. It’s bad enough that they’re likely to be without both Pronger and Weber, but GM Paul Holmgren also let Matt Carle bolt to the Bolts.
That leaves the Flyers with a lot of questions on defense, which isn’t fantastic news for a team that probably wanted to ease Ilya Bryzgalov into his second season as their should-be franchise goalie.
Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn ranks as the team’s most obvious top pairing, but Travis Hughes illuminates worries that Timonen is getting old and Coburn might not be able to do much more than he already has.
To Hughes and other onlookers such as Gus Katsaros, the Flyers need to make a change – and the most obvious route seems to be adding a blueliner via the trade route. Would a guy like Jay Bouwmeester stop the bleeding?
Hughes brings up one other idea since the UFA pool is shallow: could they take a shot at another offer sheet? There are a few guys to choose from, including P.K. Subban.
It’s a tough situation, but the Flyers might need to come up with a Plan B.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)