Jul 24, 2012, 6:11 PM EST
What a difference a matched offer sheet makes.
Instead of snatching up a quick Chris Pronger replacement in Shea Weber, the Philadelphia Flyers now stare at an unsettling situation on their blueline. It’s bad enough that they’re likely to be without both Pronger and Weber, but GM Paul Holmgren also let Matt Carle bolt to the Bolts.
That leaves the Flyers with a lot of questions on defense, which isn’t fantastic news for a team that probably wanted to ease Ilya Bryzgalov into his second season as their should-be franchise goalie.
Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn ranks as the team’s most obvious top pairing, but Travis Hughes illuminates worries that Timonen is getting old and Coburn might not be able to do much more than he already has.
To Hughes and other onlookers such as Gus Katsaros, the Flyers need to make a change – and the most obvious route seems to be adding a blueliner via the trade route. Would a guy like Jay Bouwmeester stop the bleeding?
Hughes brings up one other idea since the UFA pool is shallow: could they take a shot at another offer sheet? There are a few guys to choose from, including P.K. Subban.
It’s a tough situation, but the Flyers might need to come up with a Plan B.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)