Jul 24, 2012, 6:11 PM EST
What a difference a matched offer sheet makes.
Instead of snatching up a quick Chris Pronger replacement in Shea Weber, the Philadelphia Flyers now stare at an unsettling situation on their blueline. It’s bad enough that they’re likely to be without both Pronger and Weber, but GM Paul Holmgren also let Matt Carle bolt to the Bolts.
That leaves the Flyers with a lot of questions on defense, which isn’t fantastic news for a team that probably wanted to ease Ilya Bryzgalov into his second season as their should-be franchise goalie.
Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn ranks as the team’s most obvious top pairing, but Travis Hughes illuminates worries that Timonen is getting old and Coburn might not be able to do much more than he already has.
To Hughes and other onlookers such as Gus Katsaros, the Flyers need to make a change – and the most obvious route seems to be adding a blueliner via the trade route. Would a guy like Jay Bouwmeester stop the bleeding?
Hughes brings up one other idea since the UFA pool is shallow: could they take a shot at another offer sheet? There are a few guys to choose from, including P.K. Subban.
It’s a tough situation, but the Flyers might need to come up with a Plan B.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)