Jul 24, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
What a difference a matched offer sheet makes.
Instead of snatching up a quick Chris Pronger replacement in Shea Weber, the Philadelphia Flyers now stare at an unsettling situation on their blueline. It’s bad enough that they’re likely to be without both Pronger and Weber, but GM Paul Holmgren also let Matt Carle bolt to the Bolts.
That leaves the Flyers with a lot of questions on defense, which isn’t fantastic news for a team that probably wanted to ease Ilya Bryzgalov into his second season as their should-be franchise goalie.
Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn ranks as the team’s most obvious top pairing, but Travis Hughes illuminates worries that Timonen is getting old and Coburn might not be able to do much more than he already has.
To Hughes and other onlookers such as Gus Katsaros, the Flyers need to make a change – and the most obvious route seems to be adding a blueliner via the trade route. Would a guy like Jay Bouwmeester stop the bleeding?
Hughes brings up one other idea since the UFA pool is shallow: could they take a shot at another offer sheet? There are a few guys to choose from, including P.K. Subban.
It’s a tough situation, but the Flyers might need to come up with a Plan B.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)