Jul 24, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Hockey’s Future called the Florida Panthers’ farm system the best in the NHL.
While organizations like the Detroit Red Wings reveal the wisdom of patience, the post-lockout league has been relatively friendly to prospects making quick jumps. Yet aside from hulking defenseman Erik Gudbranson, the Panthers killed their playoff drought without their prospects.
So the question is: when will the Panthers tap into their rich reserves of young talent?
The well is deep, but the two standout guys are forward Jonathan Huberdeau and goalie Jacob Markstrom.
Hockey’s Future claims that there’s “little doubt” Huberdeau will make the jump next season. The Panthers’ forward lineup is solid but could absolutely accommodate a talented player who apparently thrived in the CHL playoffs.
Markstrom seemed like he was on a fast track to ease into at least a backup job in the NHL, but the Panthers now seemingly boast a crowded crease. Jose Theodore has one year left on his deal and they re-signed Scott Clemmensen amid rumors of a Roberto Luongo trade.
In the grand scheme of things, it might just come down to how well training camp goes for this team’s talented array of prospects.
- Weber’s shot leaves Sens’ Ceci, Anderson reeling 3
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 17
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)