Jul 24, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Hockey’s Future called the Florida Panthers’ farm system the best in the NHL.
While organizations like the Detroit Red Wings reveal the wisdom of patience, the post-lockout league has been relatively friendly to prospects making quick jumps. Yet aside from hulking defenseman Erik Gudbranson, the Panthers killed their playoff drought without their prospects.
So the question is: when will the Panthers tap into their rich reserves of young talent?
The well is deep, but the two standout guys are forward Jonathan Huberdeau and goalie Jacob Markstrom.
Hockey’s Future claims that there’s “little doubt” Huberdeau will make the jump next season. The Panthers’ forward lineup is solid but could absolutely accommodate a talented player who apparently thrived in the CHL playoffs.
Markstrom seemed like he was on a fast track to ease into at least a backup job in the NHL, but the Panthers now seemingly boast a crowded crease. Jose Theodore has one year left on his deal and they re-signed Scott Clemmensen amid rumors of a Roberto Luongo trade.
In the grand scheme of things, it might just come down to how well training camp goes for this team’s talented array of prospects.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)