Jul 24, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Hockey’s Future called the Florida Panthers’ farm system the best in the NHL.
While organizations like the Detroit Red Wings reveal the wisdom of patience, the post-lockout league has been relatively friendly to prospects making quick jumps. Yet aside from hulking defenseman Erik Gudbranson, the Panthers killed their playoff drought without their prospects.
So the question is: when will the Panthers tap into their rich reserves of young talent?
The well is deep, but the two standout guys are forward Jonathan Huberdeau and goalie Jacob Markstrom.
Hockey’s Future claims that there’s “little doubt” Huberdeau will make the jump next season. The Panthers’ forward lineup is solid but could absolutely accommodate a talented player who apparently thrived in the CHL playoffs.
Markstrom seemed like he was on a fast track to ease into at least a backup job in the NHL, but the Panthers now seemingly boast a crowded crease. Jose Theodore has one year left on his deal and they re-signed Scott Clemmensen amid rumors of a Roberto Luongo trade.
In the grand scheme of things, it might just come down to how well training camp goes for this team’s talented array of prospects.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)