Jul 24, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
38-26-18 94 points. First in the Southeast Division, third seed in the Eastern Conference. Lost to New Jersey (4-3) in the first round.
1st Round, 23rd overall — Mike Matheson (USHL Dubuque)
It’s been a relatively quiet offseason for GM Dale Tallon, particularly compared to last summer when the Panthers were forced to go on a spending spree to get above the salary cap floor.
The loss of hard-shooting defenseman Garrison to Vancouver will be a challenge to overcome, but the signing of Kuba should help in that regard. Moreover, 20-year-old Erik Gudbranson has the potential to handle a larger role following his first full season in the NHL.
The big question: Will Tallon acquire goalie Roberto Luongo in a trade with the Canucks?
In late June, it was reported the Panthers were “internally getting ready for the return” of their former netminder.
However, Tallon and Vancouver GM Mike Gillis have yet to reach a deal, with the latter insisting he’s willing to keep Luongo until “close to the season” – and maybe beyond.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Panthers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)