Jul 24, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
38-26-18 94 points. First in the Southeast Division, third seed in the Eastern Conference. Lost to New Jersey (4-3) in the first round.
1st Round, 23rd overall — Mike Matheson (USHL Dubuque)
It’s been a relatively quiet offseason for GM Dale Tallon, particularly compared to last summer when the Panthers were forced to go on a spending spree to get above the salary cap floor.
The loss of hard-shooting defenseman Garrison to Vancouver will be a challenge to overcome, but the signing of Kuba should help in that regard. Moreover, 20-year-old Erik Gudbranson has the potential to handle a larger role following his first full season in the NHL.
The big question: Will Tallon acquire goalie Roberto Luongo in a trade with the Canucks?
In late June, it was reported the Panthers were “internally getting ready for the return” of their former netminder.
However, Tallon and Vancouver GM Mike Gillis have yet to reach a deal, with the latter insisting he’s willing to keep Luongo until “close to the season” – and maybe beyond.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Panthers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46