Jul 24, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
38-26-18 94 points. First in the Southeast Division, third seed in the Eastern Conference. Lost to New Jersey (4-3) in the first round.
1st Round, 23rd overall — Mike Matheson (USHL Dubuque)
It’s been a relatively quiet offseason for GM Dale Tallon, particularly compared to last summer when the Panthers were forced to go on a spending spree to get above the salary cap floor.
The loss of hard-shooting defenseman Garrison to Vancouver will be a challenge to overcome, but the signing of Kuba should help in that regard. Moreover, 20-year-old Erik Gudbranson has the potential to handle a larger role following his first full season in the NHL.
The big question: Will Tallon acquire goalie Roberto Luongo in a trade with the Canucks?
In late June, it was reported the Panthers were “internally getting ready for the return” of their former netminder.
However, Tallon and Vancouver GM Mike Gillis have yet to reach a deal, with the latter insisting he’s willing to keep Luongo until “close to the season” – and maybe beyond.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Panthers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 8
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 31
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41