Jul 24, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Word leaked that the NHL owners threw down the gauntlet during CBA talks, but for things to really kick off, the NHLPA has to present its counter-proposal.
NHLPA head Donald Fehr told Chris Johnston that the NHLPA is close to putting together their retort. In fact, it might just be a matter of a week or two.
“It could be two, it could be less,” Fehr said. “In addition to looking hard at what they’ve given us and doing our own work, we’re going to have to look at that additional information before we get to the stage of making a proposal of our own, making a counter-proposal or doing something else.”
Meanwhile, the two sides are engaged in a fifth week of meetings. Johnston reports that Brendan Shanahan was on hand on Tuesday to discuss how player discipline has and will be handled.
Gary Bettman seemed optimistic – if vague – about getting a deal done promptly.
“We think that if everybody works hard, we can get the job done in the appropriate time frame,” Bettman said.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)