Jul 24, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Word leaked that the NHL owners threw down the gauntlet during CBA talks, but for things to really kick off, the NHLPA has to present its counter-proposal.
NHLPA head Donald Fehr told Chris Johnston that the NHLPA is close to putting together their retort. In fact, it might just be a matter of a week or two.
“It could be two, it could be less,” Fehr said. “In addition to looking hard at what they’ve given us and doing our own work, we’re going to have to look at that additional information before we get to the stage of making a proposal of our own, making a counter-proposal or doing something else.”
Meanwhile, the two sides are engaged in a fifth week of meetings. Johnston reports that Brendan Shanahan was on hand on Tuesday to discuss how player discipline has and will be handled.
Gary Bettman seemed optimistic – if vague – about getting a deal done promptly.
“We think that if everybody works hard, we can get the job done in the appropriate time frame,” Bettman said.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)