Jul 24, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Word leaked that the NHL owners threw down the gauntlet during CBA talks, but for things to really kick off, the NHLPA has to present its counter-proposal.
NHLPA head Donald Fehr told Chris Johnston that the NHLPA is close to putting together their retort. In fact, it might just be a matter of a week or two.
“It could be two, it could be less,” Fehr said. “In addition to looking hard at what they’ve given us and doing our own work, we’re going to have to look at that additional information before we get to the stage of making a proposal of our own, making a counter-proposal or doing something else.”
Meanwhile, the two sides are engaged in a fifth week of meetings. Johnston reports that Brendan Shanahan was on hand on Tuesday to discuss how player discipline has and will be handled.
Gary Bettman seemed optimistic – if vague – about getting a deal done promptly.
“We think that if everybody works hard, we can get the job done in the appropriate time frame,” Bettman said.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)