Jul 24, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Word leaked that the NHL owners threw down the gauntlet during CBA talks, but for things to really kick off, the NHLPA has to present its counter-proposal.
NHLPA head Donald Fehr told Chris Johnston that the NHLPA is close to putting together their retort. In fact, it might just be a matter of a week or two.
“It could be two, it could be less,” Fehr said. “In addition to looking hard at what they’ve given us and doing our own work, we’re going to have to look at that additional information before we get to the stage of making a proposal of our own, making a counter-proposal or doing something else.”
Meanwhile, the two sides are engaged in a fifth week of meetings. Johnston reports that Brendan Shanahan was on hand on Tuesday to discuss how player discipline has and will be handled.
Gary Bettman seemed optimistic – if vague – about getting a deal done promptly.
“We think that if everybody works hard, we can get the job done in the appropriate time frame,” Bettman said.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 17
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)