Jul 24, 2012, 7:10 PM EST
Word leaked that the NHL owners threw down the gauntlet during CBA talks, but for things to really kick off, the NHLPA has to present its counter-proposal.
NHLPA head Donald Fehr told Chris Johnston that the NHLPA is close to putting together their retort. In fact, it might just be a matter of a week or two.
“It could be two, it could be less,” Fehr said. “In addition to looking hard at what they’ve given us and doing our own work, we’re going to have to look at that additional information before we get to the stage of making a proposal of our own, making a counter-proposal or doing something else.”
Meanwhile, the two sides are engaged in a fifth week of meetings. Johnston reports that Brendan Shanahan was on hand on Tuesday to discuss how player discipline has and will be handled.
Gary Bettman seemed optimistic – if vague – about getting a deal done promptly.
“We think that if everybody works hard, we can get the job done in the appropriate time frame,” Bettman said.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)