Jul 23, 2012, 3:24 PM EST
The early verdicts are in on the deal that has Rick Nash going to the Rangers in exchange for Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a 2014 first round pick — and they’re not favorable for Columbus GM Scott Howson.
Here’s a sampling of what folks are tweeting….
Mike Harrington, Buffalo News: “So how exactly does Scott Howson still have a job after this fiasco?”
Frank Seravalli, Philadelphia Daily News: “You would almost think Scott Howson was trying to blow up the Blue Jackets. Better off playing with disgruntled captain than that trade.”
Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun: “The Jackets needed to a hit a home run with this deal. This is not a home run. They had better offers at the trade deadline.”
Tom Gulitti, NorthJersey.com: “Howson was in a tough spot, but it looks like he caved just to trade Nash rather than hold out for value.”
James Cybulski, TSN: “How does it take Carolina and Pitt 24 hours to make a fair Staal deal, and yet the Nash trade takes 5 months to agree on that package?”
Jason Brough, ProHockeyTalk: “‘Fine. Screw it. WHATEVER!’ — Scott Howson to Glen Sather”
Damien Cox, Toronto Star: “And, after months of dithering, Blue Jackets make a crap deal for Nash. Go for volume rather than quality. Dumb.”
Sean Gentile, Sporting News: “Look at the vitriol for Howson. That’s why you don’t make insane demands for months on end. Now he gets killed for an appropriate return.”
Seth Rorabaugh, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “Car dealers in Central Ohio are suddenly preparing mass mailings for Scott Howson’s home address…”
Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun: “Columbus didn’t get a Top 6 forward or a defenceman for Rick Nash. Please explain, Scott Howson?
Bobby Holik: “Scott Howson finally earned contract extension.
And finally, what might be the most telling tweet of them all…
Doug MacLean, Sportsnet (and former Columbus GM!): “If these names are right this is a disaster for cbj.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
A touch dramatic, right?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)