Jul 23, 2012, 9:58 PM EST
Gary Lawless reports that Evander Kane is “mulling over” a Winnipeg Jets’ six-year deal that would be worth “in the neighborhood of” $29 million. That would mean he’d register a cap hit of just under $5 million per season ($4.83 million, to be exact).
Kane will turn 21 in August, so under the current CBA guidelines, such a deal would cover him until his first year of unrestricted free agent eligibility. There was some talk that Kane didn’t want to sign with the Jets in June, but reports began circulating that discussions were picking up about a week ago.
The franchise drafted him fourth overall in 2009. If Kane agrees to this offer, he’d generate a considerably larger cap hit than third pick Matt Duchene and about $620K less per year than top choice John Tavares.
Kane set career-highs in goals (30), assists (27), points (57), plus/minus (+11) and games played (74) last season. He also set a new high mark in shots on goal, with 287 – good for ninth overall in the NHL. Kane’s 30 goals topped all Jets players while he was second on the team in points behind Blake Wheeler, who had 64.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 46
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 32
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (111)