Jul 23, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
Gary Lawless reports that Evander Kane is “mulling over” a Winnipeg Jets’ six-year deal that would be worth “in the neighborhood of” $29 million. That would mean he’d register a cap hit of just under $5 million per season ($4.83 million, to be exact).
Kane will turn 21 in August, so under the current CBA guidelines, such a deal would cover him until his first year of unrestricted free agent eligibility. There was some talk that Kane didn’t want to sign with the Jets in June, but reports began circulating that discussions were picking up about a week ago.
The franchise drafted him fourth overall in 2009. If Kane agrees to this offer, he’d generate a considerably larger cap hit than third pick Matt Duchene and about $620K less per year than top choice John Tavares.
Kane set career-highs in goals (30), assists (27), points (57), plus/minus (+11) and games played (74) last season. He also set a new high mark in shots on goal, with 287 – good for ninth overall in the NHL. Kane’s 30 goals topped all Jets players while he was second on the team in points behind Blake Wheeler, who had 64.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte