Jul 23, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
48-28-6 102 points. Third in the Atlantic Division, fifth in the Eastern Conference. Beat Pittsburgh (4-2) in the Conference quarterfinals, lost to New Jersey (4-1) in the semis.
1st Round, 20th overall — Scott Laughton (OHL Oshawa)
GM Paul Holmgren’s busy offseason began at the draft, when he flipped winger James van Riemsdyk to Toronto for defenseman Luke Schenn (reuniting him with brother Brayden in the process.)
During free agency, Philly — like almost every other NHL team — was in on both Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, with the latter reportedly receiving a $110 million offer from the Flyers.
(More on that significant dollar figure in a sec.)
While those chases were going on, Philly saw a couple of key pieces walk. Jaromir Jagr parlayed his comeback season into a one-year, $4.5 million deal from Dallas and Matt Carle cashed in on a weak UFA defenseman market, inking with Tampa Bay to the tune of six years, $33.5 million.
Okay, now that we’ve got that out of the way — and yes, we here at PHT are pretty sharp about our scheduling — let’s point out the blindingly obvious:
Should Nashville not match the 14-year, $110 million deal Weber signed with the Flyers, Philly’s offseason report has a markedly different narrative.
Weber would give the Flyers an elite blueliner in the Chris Pronger mold, only he’s younger (26 to Pronger’s 37) and healthier (Weber’s only missed nine games over the last four seasons.)
Granted, he doesn’t have Pronger’s winning pedigree — but that could soon come on a Flyers team loaded with talent and a potentially deep blueline. A top-six of Weber, Meszaros, Coburn, Schenn, Timonen and Grossmann looks pretty enticing.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Flyers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 88
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL