Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After winning a crazy first-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they were unceremoniously dismissed in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals by the New Jersey Devils.
Ilya Bryzgalov was awfully inconsistent in his first season with the Flyers and how he rebounds in 2012-13 will play a big role in determining Philadelphia’s fate. They traded Sergei Bobrovsky over the summer and intend to replace him with Michael Leighton, who spent the bulk of the last two seasons in the minors. In other words, the Flyers don’t have a particularly safe contingency plan if Bryzgalov struggles.
That being said, they have made Bryzgalov’s job easier by acquiring defensive defenseman Luke Schenn from Toronto. On top of that, they signed Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet, but are waiting on the Nashville Predators to either match the offer or allow him to join the Flyers.
Do the Philadelphia Flyers have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup this season? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 1
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 94
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (91)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)