Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After winning a crazy first-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they were unceremoniously dismissed in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals by the New Jersey Devils.
Ilya Bryzgalov was awfully inconsistent in his first season with the Flyers and how he rebounds in 2012-13 will play a big role in determining Philadelphia’s fate. They traded Sergei Bobrovsky over the summer and intend to replace him with Michael Leighton, who spent the bulk of the last two seasons in the minors. In other words, the Flyers don’t have a particularly safe contingency plan if Bryzgalov struggles.
That being said, they have made Bryzgalov’s job easier by acquiring defensive defenseman Luke Schenn from Toronto. On top of that, they signed Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet, but are waiting on the Nashville Predators to either match the offer or allow him to join the Flyers.
Do the Philadelphia Flyers have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup this season? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)