Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After winning a crazy first-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they were unceremoniously dismissed in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals by the New Jersey Devils.
Ilya Bryzgalov was awfully inconsistent in his first season with the Flyers and how he rebounds in 2012-13 will play a big role in determining Philadelphia’s fate. They traded Sergei Bobrovsky over the summer and intend to replace him with Michael Leighton, who spent the bulk of the last two seasons in the minors. In other words, the Flyers don’t have a particularly safe contingency plan if Bryzgalov struggles.
That being said, they have made Bryzgalov’s job easier by acquiring defensive defenseman Luke Schenn from Toronto. On top of that, they signed Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet, but are waiting on the Nashville Predators to either match the offer or allow him to join the Flyers.
Do the Philadelphia Flyers have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup this season? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)