Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After winning a crazy first-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they were unceremoniously dismissed in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals by the New Jersey Devils.
Ilya Bryzgalov was awfully inconsistent in his first season with the Flyers and how he rebounds in 2012-13 will play a big role in determining Philadelphia’s fate. They traded Sergei Bobrovsky over the summer and intend to replace him with Michael Leighton, who spent the bulk of the last two seasons in the minors. In other words, the Flyers don’t have a particularly safe contingency plan if Bryzgalov struggles.
That being said, they have made Bryzgalov’s job easier by acquiring defensive defenseman Luke Schenn from Toronto. On top of that, they signed Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet, but are waiting on the Nashville Predators to either match the offer or allow him to join the Flyers.
Do the Philadelphia Flyers have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup this season? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 17
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 15
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 16
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 11
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)