Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After winning a crazy first-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they were unceremoniously dismissed in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals by the New Jersey Devils.
Ilya Bryzgalov was awfully inconsistent in his first season with the Flyers and how he rebounds in 2012-13 will play a big role in determining Philadelphia’s fate. They traded Sergei Bobrovsky over the summer and intend to replace him with Michael Leighton, who spent the bulk of the last two seasons in the minors. In other words, the Flyers don’t have a particularly safe contingency plan if Bryzgalov struggles.
That being said, they have made Bryzgalov’s job easier by acquiring defensive defenseman Luke Schenn from Toronto. On top of that, they signed Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet, but are waiting on the Nashville Predators to either match the offer or allow him to join the Flyers.
Do the Philadelphia Flyers have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup this season? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)