Jul 23, 2012, 3:49 PM EST
After repeatedly promising to hold out for a return befitting “an elite player,” what Howson got were four question marks.
1. Dubinsky – a 26-year-old center coming off a 10-goal, 24-assist season; signed through 2014-15 with a $4.2 million cap hit.
2. Anisimov – a 24-year-old center that had 16 goals and 20 assists in 2011-12; set to become a restricted free agent next season.
3. Erixon – a 22-year-old defenseman with just 18 NHL games under his belt; drafted 23rd overall in 2009.
4. A first-round pick that’s likely to come late in the round.
Not that Howson didn’t acquire potential. Dubinsky is a two-time 20-goal scorer that may benefit from a change in scenery and an increased role in the offense. Anisimov had 10 points in the playoffs, tied for fourth on the Rangers. Erixon is still young, and defenseman often take longer to develop. And there have been plenty of impact players drafted late in the first round.
But no matter what Howson says in the wake of the trade, you can bet he wanted – and expected to get – more.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, who broke the trade, “Howson managed this trade his way, but the components of this deal were available at the deadline and again at the draft.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)