Jul 23, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
The New York Rangers were connected to Rick Nash trade rumors for a long time, and if Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson’s quotes are any indication, the rumors were justified. Howson stated that the Rangers showed frequent interest in Nash, as Katie Strang reports.
“The Rangers were the team that showed the most interest in Rick, consistently,” Howson said.
Many weren’t impressed with the assets Howson garnered from the Rangers, despite Nash’s positive words. Howson claims the framework of the deal was more or less in place on Friday night. Some believe that Howson could have gotten a similar deal earlier on in the process, however, which is a notion that Howson (sort of) denied, as Dave Lozo “notes.”
“I’m not sure if we could have gotten this deal at the trade deadline,” Howson said. “I’d have to check my notes.”
Perhaps “I’d have to check my notes” has some legs as a meme among hockey fanatics, although it’s unlikely to approach the “so you’re an expert?” level.
Howson also told Aaron Portzline that Columbus will “be eternally grateful” for Nash’s contributions.
Howson discusses the deal with Blue Jackets TV:
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38