Jul 23, 2012, 6:42 PM EST
The New York Rangers were connected to Rick Nash trade rumors for a long time, and if Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson’s quotes are any indication, the rumors were justified. Howson stated that the Rangers showed frequent interest in Nash, as Katie Strang reports.
“The Rangers were the team that showed the most interest in Rick, consistently,” Howson said.
Many weren’t impressed with the assets Howson garnered from the Rangers, despite Nash’s positive words. Howson claims the framework of the deal was more or less in place on Friday night. Some believe that Howson could have gotten a similar deal earlier on in the process, however, which is a notion that Howson (sort of) denied, as Dave Lozo “notes.”
“I’m not sure if we could have gotten this deal at the trade deadline,” Howson said. “I’d have to check my notes.”
Perhaps “I’d have to check my notes” has some legs as a meme among hockey fanatics, although it’s unlikely to approach the “so you’re an expert?” level.
Howson also told Aaron Portzline that Columbus will “be eternally grateful” for Nash’s contributions.
Howson discusses the deal with Blue Jackets TV:
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 12
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)