Jul 23, 2012, 6:42 PM EST
The New York Rangers were connected to Rick Nash trade rumors for a long time, and if Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson’s quotes are any indication, the rumors were justified. Howson stated that the Rangers showed frequent interest in Nash, as Katie Strang reports.
“The Rangers were the team that showed the most interest in Rick, consistently,” Howson said.
Many weren’t impressed with the assets Howson garnered from the Rangers, despite Nash’s positive words. Howson claims the framework of the deal was more or less in place on Friday night. Some believe that Howson could have gotten a similar deal earlier on in the process, however, which is a notion that Howson (sort of) denied, as Dave Lozo “notes.”
“I’m not sure if we could have gotten this deal at the trade deadline,” Howson said. “I’d have to check my notes.”
Perhaps “I’d have to check my notes” has some legs as a meme among hockey fanatics, although it’s unlikely to approach the “so you’re an expert?” level.
Howson also told Aaron Portzline that Columbus will “be eternally grateful” for Nash’s contributions.
Howson discusses the deal with Blue Jackets TV:
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 11
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11