Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
Dustin Byfuglien is off the hook. The Jets’ defenseman had his impaired boating charge dropped today in a Minneapolis court, pleading guilty to the misdemeanor of careless boating (for not having proper lighting on the vessel).
Winnipeg Free Press reporter Mike McIntyre has all the details on Twitter.
Most notably, Byfuglien gets a $1,000 fine and 30-day sentence, with 28 days suspended. The remaining two days will be spent as a “workhorse,” which could mean he’ll be picking up garbage along the side of a highway at some point. (Or perhaps plowing a field?)
Byfuglien’s agent says the sentence will have no impact on his career.
The 27-year-old was facing up to a year in jail after his Aug. 31 arrest on Lake Minnetonka. Even though Byfuglien passed a preliminary breath test that day, a “distinct brown stain on his tongue” led officers to suspect he was “under the influence of a controlled substance and was unable to safely operate a watercraft.”
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff released a statement after the case was settled.
“After allowing the legal process to play out, we are thankful to see this matter resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved,” said Cheveldayoff. “As an organization, the Winnipeg Jets are happy this is behind Dustin and he can look forward to the upcoming hockey season, along with the rest of the team and their passionate fan base.”
PS – Courtesy Peter Chura of Global TV Winnipeg, here’s a picture of Byfuglien arriving in court.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)