Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Dustin Byfuglien is off the hook. The Jets’ defenseman had his impaired boating charge dropped today in a Minneapolis court, pleading guilty to the misdemeanor of careless boating (for not having proper lighting on the vessel).
Winnipeg Free Press reporter Mike McIntyre has all the details on Twitter.
Most notably, Byfuglien gets a $1,000 fine and 30-day sentence, with 28 days suspended. The remaining two days will be spent as a “workhorse,” which could mean he’ll be picking up garbage along the side of a highway at some point. (Or perhaps plowing a field?)
Byfuglien’s agent says the sentence will have no impact on his career.
The 27-year-old was facing up to a year in jail after his Aug. 31 arrest on Lake Minnetonka. Even though Byfuglien passed a preliminary breath test that day, a “distinct brown stain on his tongue” led officers to suspect he was “under the influence of a controlled substance and was unable to safely operate a watercraft.”
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff released a statement after the case was settled.
“After allowing the legal process to play out, we are thankful to see this matter resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved,” said Cheveldayoff. “As an organization, the Winnipeg Jets are happy this is behind Dustin and he can look forward to the upcoming hockey season, along with the rest of the team and their passionate fan base.”
PS – Courtesy Peter Chura of Global TV Winnipeg, here’s a picture of Byfuglien arriving in court.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)