Jul 22, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
If there’s one thing you could say about the NHLPA in the past is that they’ve had issues sticking together behind a leader. The players’ association have never had a guy like Donald Fehr in the past, however, and that makes this round of CBA negotiations that much different.
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews tells Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com he’s confident in the process and believes in what Fehr is doing to help the players get a fair deal.
“We know his leadership abilities and we’re confident in what he’s been doing for us and we’re going to continue to feel that way,” Toews said. “Everyone wants to know answers right now and it’s impossible to tell the future. We’re confident in Don, we’re behind him 100 percent directing our NHLPA and we’ll leave it at that.”
Hawks forward Jamal Mayers also spoke to Myers saying they hope to make up some ground lost to the owners in the last round of negotiations. Therein lies the fight for the players. Hearing Toews’ positive attitude about working with Fehr is something that should have the owners realizing they won’t be able to push them around.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)