Jul 22, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
This has been a trying summer for the Nashville Predators. They’ve already lost Ryan Suter and now they have to decide whether or not to match the Philadelphia Flyers’ massively frontloaded, 14-year, $110 million offer sheet with Shea Weber.
If they do so, they’ll have to pay Weber $52 million over the next four seasons alone. That’s a tough pill to swallow financially, but as Nate Rau of The Tennessean pointed out, Predators Chairman Tom Cigarran made some bold statements earlier this summer.
Cigarran claimed that the Predators’ budget would reach new highs and “we’re not going to lose players because of money.”
Cigarran also stated at the time that “the only way we’ll lose them is if there’s some chemistry issue, or their grandmother lives in Montreal or something, the intangibles. But they know we’re competitive, and they know we’re committed after this season, so we’re in a really good place.”
You could make a strong argument that the Predators ultimately lost Suter due to the intangibles. It would be harder to paint the same picture for Weber, seeing as keeping him is as simple as writing a check. That being said, it would be a very large check and one to a player that doesn’t want to go through another rebuilding process.
So maybe if the Predators decline to match the offer, they’ll claim that it was because of a potential “chemistry issue.” Still, this summer has certainly tested Cigarran’s earlier upbeat and bold statements.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)