Jul 22, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
This has been a trying summer for the Nashville Predators. They’ve already lost Ryan Suter and now they have to decide whether or not to match the Philadelphia Flyers’ massively frontloaded, 14-year, $110 million offer sheet with Shea Weber.
If they do so, they’ll have to pay Weber $52 million over the next four seasons alone. That’s a tough pill to swallow financially, but as Nate Rau of The Tennessean pointed out, Predators Chairman Tom Cigarran made some bold statements earlier this summer.
Cigarran claimed that the Predators’ budget would reach new highs and “we’re not going to lose players because of money.”
Cigarran also stated at the time that “the only way we’ll lose them is if there’s some chemistry issue, or their grandmother lives in Montreal or something, the intangibles. But they know we’re competitive, and they know we’re committed after this season, so we’re in a really good place.”
You could make a strong argument that the Predators ultimately lost Suter due to the intangibles. It would be harder to paint the same picture for Weber, seeing as keeping him is as simple as writing a check. That being said, it would be a very large check and one to a player that doesn’t want to go through another rebuilding process.
So maybe if the Predators decline to match the offer, they’ll claim that it was because of a potential “chemistry issue.” Still, this summer has certainly tested Cigarran’s earlier upbeat and bold statements.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)