Jul 22, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Last week we shared a report of the Columbus Blue Jackets interest in the Kings’ young backup goalie Jonathan Bernier.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch gives his take on what it might take GM Scott Howson to land the netminder and he has a lot of reasons to be reluctant about proceeding.
The Blue Jackets might have to send the Kings’ No. 1 pick in 2013 back to them to get it trade, and it could take something else. Not sure if the Kings would be willing to take on the contract of Steve Mason ($3.2 million, then RFA next summer) to facilitate a trade.
Howson is more than familiar dealing with Kings GM Dean Lombardi thanks to their Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson swap last season, but if they have to part with the pick they got from the Kings to get Bernier, that’s rough.
Summing things up it would wind up being: Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier for Jeff Carter and whatever else they might have to part with to get Bernier. Sending out Mason might be the one saving grace if the Kings were OK with it.
When you add in what Columbus gave up to get Carter (Jakub Voracek, 2011 first and third-round picks that became Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins) that’s an amazingly brutal set of moves. Maybe Howson wants to think things through should he decide to give Lombardi a call to talk things over again.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)