Jul 22, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
Last week we shared a report of the Columbus Blue Jackets interest in the Kings’ young backup goalie Jonathan Bernier.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch gives his take on what it might take GM Scott Howson to land the netminder and he has a lot of reasons to be reluctant about proceeding.
The Blue Jackets might have to send the Kings’ No. 1 pick in 2013 back to them to get it trade, and it could take something else. Not sure if the Kings would be willing to take on the contract of Steve Mason ($3.2 million, then RFA next summer) to facilitate a trade.
Howson is more than familiar dealing with Kings GM Dean Lombardi thanks to their Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson swap last season, but if they have to part with the pick they got from the Kings to get Bernier, that’s rough.
Summing things up it would wind up being: Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier for Jeff Carter and whatever else they might have to part with to get Bernier. Sending out Mason might be the one saving grace if the Kings were OK with it.
When you add in what Columbus gave up to get Carter (Jakub Voracek, 2011 first and third-round picks that became Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins) that’s an amazingly brutal set of moves. Maybe Howson wants to think things through should he decide to give Lombardi a call to talk things over again.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)