Jul 22, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Last week we shared a report of the Columbus Blue Jackets interest in the Kings’ young backup goalie Jonathan Bernier.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch gives his take on what it might take GM Scott Howson to land the netminder and he has a lot of reasons to be reluctant about proceeding.
The Blue Jackets might have to send the Kings’ No. 1 pick in 2013 back to them to get it trade, and it could take something else. Not sure if the Kings would be willing to take on the contract of Steve Mason ($3.2 million, then RFA next summer) to facilitate a trade.
Howson is more than familiar dealing with Kings GM Dean Lombardi thanks to their Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson swap last season, but if they have to part with the pick they got from the Kings to get Bernier, that’s rough.
Summing things up it would wind up being: Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier for Jeff Carter and whatever else they might have to part with to get Bernier. Sending out Mason might be the one saving grace if the Kings were OK with it.
When you add in what Columbus gave up to get Carter (Jakub Voracek, 2011 first and third-round picks that became Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins) that’s an amazingly brutal set of moves. Maybe Howson wants to think things through should he decide to give Lombardi a call to talk things over again.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)