Jul 22, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Last week we shared a report of the Columbus Blue Jackets interest in the Kings’ young backup goalie Jonathan Bernier.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch gives his take on what it might take GM Scott Howson to land the netminder and he has a lot of reasons to be reluctant about proceeding.
The Blue Jackets might have to send the Kings’ No. 1 pick in 2013 back to them to get it trade, and it could take something else. Not sure if the Kings would be willing to take on the contract of Steve Mason ($3.2 million, then RFA next summer) to facilitate a trade.
Howson is more than familiar dealing with Kings GM Dean Lombardi thanks to their Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson swap last season, but if they have to part with the pick they got from the Kings to get Bernier, that’s rough.
Summing things up it would wind up being: Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier for Jeff Carter and whatever else they might have to part with to get Bernier. Sending out Mason might be the one saving grace if the Kings were OK with it.
When you add in what Columbus gave up to get Carter (Jakub Voracek, 2011 first and third-round picks that became Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins) that’s an amazingly brutal set of moves. Maybe Howson wants to think things through should he decide to give Lombardi a call to talk things over again.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)