Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Rinne committed himself to Nashville back in November signing a seven-year extension and depending on how things break out this week with Weber, he might be the last superstar left in town. For a guy that helped buoy the team with his stellar play in goal, that sets him up having to be the man needed to keep the Predators hopes for a Stanley Cup alive.
Fortunately for the Predators, Rinne needing to be at the top of his game is something he’s used to.
Of the 164 regular season games played the last two seasons, Rinne has been in 137 of them including an astounding 73 this past year. His 2010-2011 was statistically better playing in 64 games, but you’d have to think coach Barry Trotz would love to lighten the load regardless. With Anders Lindback now in Tampa Bay, it’ll be up to one-time Predator Chris Mason to help spell the Finnish star this time around.
Thankfully for the Preds, Rinne is still just 29 years-old but a consistent workload like that won’t do much to keep him fresh for the playoffs or for seeing the end of his contract. For now, it’s on Rinne to continue being a Vezina-caliber player to keep hope alive in Music City.
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 6
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 14
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)