Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Rinne committed himself to Nashville back in November signing a seven-year extension and depending on how things break out this week with Weber, he might be the last superstar left in town. For a guy that helped buoy the team with his stellar play in goal, that sets him up having to be the man needed to keep the Predators hopes for a Stanley Cup alive.
Fortunately for the Predators, Rinne needing to be at the top of his game is something he’s used to.
Of the 164 regular season games played the last two seasons, Rinne has been in 137 of them including an astounding 73 this past year. His 2010-2011 was statistically better playing in 64 games, but you’d have to think coach Barry Trotz would love to lighten the load regardless. With Anders Lindback now in Tampa Bay, it’ll be up to one-time Predator Chris Mason to help spell the Finnish star this time around.
Thankfully for the Preds, Rinne is still just 29 years-old but a consistent workload like that won’t do much to keep him fresh for the playoffs or for seeing the end of his contract. For now, it’s on Rinne to continue being a Vezina-caliber player to keep hope alive in Music City.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)