Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Rinne committed himself to Nashville back in November signing a seven-year extension and depending on how things break out this week with Weber, he might be the last superstar left in town. For a guy that helped buoy the team with his stellar play in goal, that sets him up having to be the man needed to keep the Predators hopes for a Stanley Cup alive.
Fortunately for the Predators, Rinne needing to be at the top of his game is something he’s used to.
Of the 164 regular season games played the last two seasons, Rinne has been in 137 of them including an astounding 73 this past year. His 2010-2011 was statistically better playing in 64 games, but you’d have to think coach Barry Trotz would love to lighten the load regardless. With Anders Lindback now in Tampa Bay, it’ll be up to one-time Predator Chris Mason to help spell the Finnish star this time around.
Thankfully for the Preds, Rinne is still just 29 years-old but a consistent workload like that won’t do much to keep him fresh for the playoffs or for seeing the end of his contract. For now, it’s on Rinne to continue being a Vezina-caliber player to keep hope alive in Music City.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 24
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 23
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)