Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Rinne committed himself to Nashville back in November signing a seven-year extension and depending on how things break out this week with Weber, he might be the last superstar left in town. For a guy that helped buoy the team with his stellar play in goal, that sets him up having to be the man needed to keep the Predators hopes for a Stanley Cup alive.
Fortunately for the Predators, Rinne needing to be at the top of his game is something he’s used to.
Of the 164 regular season games played the last two seasons, Rinne has been in 137 of them including an astounding 73 this past year. His 2010-2011 was statistically better playing in 64 games, but you’d have to think coach Barry Trotz would love to lighten the load regardless. With Anders Lindback now in Tampa Bay, it’ll be up to one-time Predator Chris Mason to help spell the Finnish star this time around.
Thankfully for the Preds, Rinne is still just 29 years-old but a consistent workload like that won’t do much to keep him fresh for the playoffs or for seeing the end of his contract. For now, it’s on Rinne to continue being a Vezina-caliber player to keep hope alive in Music City.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)