Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Rinne committed himself to Nashville back in November signing a seven-year extension and depending on how things break out this week with Weber, he might be the last superstar left in town. For a guy that helped buoy the team with his stellar play in goal, that sets him up having to be the man needed to keep the Predators hopes for a Stanley Cup alive.
Fortunately for the Predators, Rinne needing to be at the top of his game is something he’s used to.
Of the 164 regular season games played the last two seasons, Rinne has been in 137 of them including an astounding 73 this past year. His 2010-2011 was statistically better playing in 64 games, but you’d have to think coach Barry Trotz would love to lighten the load regardless. With Anders Lindback now in Tampa Bay, it’ll be up to one-time Predator Chris Mason to help spell the Finnish star this time around.
Thankfully for the Preds, Rinne is still just 29 years-old but a consistent workload like that won’t do much to keep him fresh for the playoffs or for seeing the end of his contract. For now, it’s on Rinne to continue being a Vezina-caliber player to keep hope alive in Music City.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)