Jul 22, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Unrestricted free agent Shane Doan has been operating under his own timetable this summer. Presumably, he’s still interested in re-signing with Phoenix, but he’s begun to actively explore his other options.
It’s not clear where he’ll go next, but it sounds like the Pittsburgh Penguins will get a chance to court him.
“Shane is going to visit a couple more teams,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross said, accord to Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m pretty sure Pittsburgh will be one of them. He is interested in the Pens.”
Doan would provide the Penguins with a winger for Sidney Crosby, a physical presence, and a team leader. If he decides to leave Phoenix, Pittsburgh would provide Doan with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup that’s alluded him his entire career. He’ll turn 36 in October and has played in just 55 playoff games. That being said, the competition for his services will be fierce and it should include several potential Cup contenders.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)