Jul 22, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Unrestricted free agent Shane Doan has been operating under his own timetable this summer. Presumably, he’s still interested in re-signing with Phoenix, but he’s begun to actively explore his other options.
It’s not clear where he’ll go next, but it sounds like the Pittsburgh Penguins will get a chance to court him.
“Shane is going to visit a couple more teams,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross said, accord to Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m pretty sure Pittsburgh will be one of them. He is interested in the Pens.”
Doan would provide the Penguins with a winger for Sidney Crosby, a physical presence, and a team leader. If he decides to leave Phoenix, Pittsburgh would provide Doan with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup that’s alluded him his entire career. He’ll turn 36 in October and has played in just 55 playoff games. That being said, the competition for his services will be fierce and it should include several potential Cup contenders.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)