Jul 22, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Unrestricted free agent Shane Doan has been operating under his own timetable this summer. Presumably, he’s still interested in re-signing with Phoenix, but he’s begun to actively explore his other options.
It’s not clear where he’ll go next, but it sounds like the Pittsburgh Penguins will get a chance to court him.
“Shane is going to visit a couple more teams,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross said, accord to Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m pretty sure Pittsburgh will be one of them. He is interested in the Pens.”
Doan would provide the Penguins with a winger for Sidney Crosby, a physical presence, and a team leader. If he decides to leave Phoenix, Pittsburgh would provide Doan with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup that’s alluded him his entire career. He’ll turn 36 in October and has played in just 55 playoff games. That being said, the competition for his services will be fierce and it should include several potential Cup contenders.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)