Jul 22, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
Unrestricted free agent Shane Doan has been operating under his own timetable this summer. Presumably, he’s still interested in re-signing with Phoenix, but he’s begun to actively explore his other options.
It’s not clear where he’ll go next, but it sounds like the Pittsburgh Penguins will get a chance to court him.
“Shane is going to visit a couple more teams,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross said, accord to Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m pretty sure Pittsburgh will be one of them. He is interested in the Pens.”
Doan would provide the Penguins with a winger for Sidney Crosby, a physical presence, and a team leader. If he decides to leave Phoenix, Pittsburgh would provide Doan with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup that’s alluded him his entire career. He’ll turn 36 in October and has played in just 55 playoff games. That being said, the competition for his services will be fierce and it should include several potential Cup contenders.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)