Jul 22, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
Unrestricted free agent Shane Doan has been operating under his own timetable this summer. Presumably, he’s still interested in re-signing with Phoenix, but he’s begun to actively explore his other options.
It’s not clear where he’ll go next, but it sounds like the Pittsburgh Penguins will get a chance to court him.
“Shane is going to visit a couple more teams,” Doan’s agent, Terry Bross said, accord to Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m pretty sure Pittsburgh will be one of them. He is interested in the Pens.”
Doan would provide the Penguins with a winger for Sidney Crosby, a physical presence, and a team leader. If he decides to leave Phoenix, Pittsburgh would provide Doan with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup that’s alluded him his entire career. He’ll turn 36 in October and has played in just 55 playoff games. That being said, the competition for his services will be fierce and it should include several potential Cup contenders.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)