Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Early this morning, it was reported Capitals forward Keith Aucoin was set to re-up with the team on a one-year deal. Funny thing happened though, it turned out to be not true. Instead, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie got the right tip and finds out he’s landed, instead, with the Toronto Maple Leafs on the same one-year, two-way contract. He’ll make $650,000 if he stays in the NHL.
Aucoin has been a big-time scorer on the AHL level for most of his career, but sticking in the NHL has proven difficult. He did seem to find his way last season in Washington, however, earning the trust of coach Dale Hunter and landing a semi-permanent spot on the Caps’ fourth line.
In 43 games with the Hershey Bears of the AHL, Aucoin had 11 goals and 59 assists but with the Capitals he played in 27 games earning three goals and eight assists. At best, this is a depth signing for the Leafs and gives them a top center for the Marlies. Aucoin is quick and can fill in in a pinch, but at 33 years-old he’s not exactly breaking new ground.
More: Chuck Gormley from CSNWashington.com talks about Aucoin’s signing in Toronto.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)