Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Early this morning, it was reported Capitals forward Keith Aucoin was set to re-up with the team on a one-year deal. Funny thing happened though, it turned out to be not true. Instead, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie got the right tip and finds out he’s landed, instead, with the Toronto Maple Leafs on the same one-year, two-way contract. He’ll make $650,000 if he stays in the NHL.
Aucoin has been a big-time scorer on the AHL level for most of his career, but sticking in the NHL has proven difficult. He did seem to find his way last season in Washington, however, earning the trust of coach Dale Hunter and landing a semi-permanent spot on the Caps’ fourth line.
In 43 games with the Hershey Bears of the AHL, Aucoin had 11 goals and 59 assists but with the Capitals he played in 27 games earning three goals and eight assists. At best, this is a depth signing for the Leafs and gives them a top center for the Marlies. Aucoin is quick and can fill in in a pinch, but at 33 years-old he’s not exactly breaking new ground.
More: Chuck Gormley from CSNWashington.com talks about Aucoin’s signing in Toronto.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)