Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Early this morning, it was reported Capitals forward Keith Aucoin was set to re-up with the team on a one-year deal. Funny thing happened though, it turned out to be not true. Instead, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie got the right tip and finds out he’s landed, instead, with the Toronto Maple Leafs on the same one-year, two-way contract. He’ll make $650,000 if he stays in the NHL.
Aucoin has been a big-time scorer on the AHL level for most of his career, but sticking in the NHL has proven difficult. He did seem to find his way last season in Washington, however, earning the trust of coach Dale Hunter and landing a semi-permanent spot on the Caps’ fourth line.
In 43 games with the Hershey Bears of the AHL, Aucoin had 11 goals and 59 assists but with the Capitals he played in 27 games earning three goals and eight assists. At best, this is a depth signing for the Leafs and gives them a top center for the Marlies. Aucoin is quick and can fill in in a pinch, but at 33 years-old he’s not exactly breaking new ground.
More: Chuck Gormley from CSNWashington.com talks about Aucoin’s signing in Toronto.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)