Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Early this morning, it was reported Capitals forward Keith Aucoin was set to re-up with the team on a one-year deal. Funny thing happened though, it turned out to be not true. Instead, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie got the right tip and finds out he’s landed, instead, with the Toronto Maple Leafs on the same one-year, two-way contract. He’ll make $650,000 if he stays in the NHL.
Aucoin has been a big-time scorer on the AHL level for most of his career, but sticking in the NHL has proven difficult. He did seem to find his way last season in Washington, however, earning the trust of coach Dale Hunter and landing a semi-permanent spot on the Caps’ fourth line.
In 43 games with the Hershey Bears of the AHL, Aucoin had 11 goals and 59 assists but with the Capitals he played in 27 games earning three goals and eight assists. At best, this is a depth signing for the Leafs and gives them a top center for the Marlies. Aucoin is quick and can fill in in a pinch, but at 33 years-old he’s not exactly breaking new ground.
More: Chuck Gormley from CSNWashington.com talks about Aucoin’s signing in Toronto.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)