Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Early this morning, it was reported Capitals forward Keith Aucoin was set to re-up with the team on a one-year deal. Funny thing happened though, it turned out to be not true. Instead, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie got the right tip and finds out he’s landed, instead, with the Toronto Maple Leafs on the same one-year, two-way contract. He’ll make $650,000 if he stays in the NHL.
Aucoin has been a big-time scorer on the AHL level for most of his career, but sticking in the NHL has proven difficult. He did seem to find his way last season in Washington, however, earning the trust of coach Dale Hunter and landing a semi-permanent spot on the Caps’ fourth line.
In 43 games with the Hershey Bears of the AHL, Aucoin had 11 goals and 59 assists but with the Capitals he played in 27 games earning three goals and eight assists. At best, this is a depth signing for the Leafs and gives them a top center for the Marlies. Aucoin is quick and can fill in in a pinch, but at 33 years-old he’s not exactly breaking new ground.
More: Chuck Gormley from CSNWashington.com talks about Aucoin’s signing in Toronto.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)