Jul 21, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Phoenix Coyotes.
On the bright side, the 2011-12 season was a campaign of firsts. The franchise won its first Pacific Division title, made its way to its first-ever Western Conference final and generally had its best year ever. The Coyotes also enjoyed a surprising, near-Vezina-level season from Mike Smith, whose signing was dismissed in many corners.
The bad news is that for all that on-ice progress, off-the-ice matters remain gloomy. The Coyotes are scheduled to enter their fourth consecutive season without a true owner, with relocation talks a regular occurrence.
They’ve also encountered tough changes on their roster. Top-line winger Ray Whitney left for Dallas and the Shane Doan saga looks like it’ll drag on deep into the summer. They’ve also lost depth players such as Taylor Pyatt and Adrian Aucoin while adding Zbynek Michalek and Steve Sullivan.
Can the Coyotes keep defying expectations or will they finally fall flat on their faces next season? Stick around PHT today for more on that subject.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)