Jul 21, 2012, 11:05 PM EST
No one will confuse the Phoenix Coyotes with the Gretzky Oilers, but an underrated first line helped them score a decent amount of goals last season. Yet after losing Ray Whitney in free agency and with Shane Doan‘s future in doubt, the Coyotes offense could really lack firepower.
Whitney was the only Coyotes forward who approached a point-per-game, scoring 77 in 82 games last season. The only player among the team’s top three scorers who’s guaranteed to return is Radim Vrbata (Vrbata scored 62 points). Once you go beyond defenseman Keith Yandle‘s 43 points, no other Phoenix player generated more than 37 (which Lauri Korpikoski and Antoine Vermette both managed).
Vermette is currently the team’s highest-paid forward and one of several forwards who needs to embrace a greater role. The Coyotes must hope that Vermette’s strong postseason is a sign of a promising future.
The team’s biggest free agent acquisition is veteran forward Steve Sullivan, a winger who scored 48 points with Pittsburgh and might act as Ray Whitney-lite (health permitting).
Phoenix could gain a significant offensive boost from its much-touted defense, too. If Yandle doesn’t get traded, he should provide points while many believe that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is on the verge of a breakout season.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)