Jul 21, 2012, 11:05 PM EST
No one will confuse the Phoenix Coyotes with the Gretzky Oilers, but an underrated first line helped them score a decent amount of goals last season. Yet after losing Ray Whitney in free agency and with Shane Doan‘s future in doubt, the Coyotes offense could really lack firepower.
Whitney was the only Coyotes forward who approached a point-per-game, scoring 77 in 82 games last season. The only player among the team’s top three scorers who’s guaranteed to return is Radim Vrbata (Vrbata scored 62 points). Once you go beyond defenseman Keith Yandle‘s 43 points, no other Phoenix player generated more than 37 (which Lauri Korpikoski and Antoine Vermette both managed).
Vermette is currently the team’s highest-paid forward and one of several forwards who needs to embrace a greater role. The Coyotes must hope that Vermette’s strong postseason is a sign of a promising future.
The team’s biggest free agent acquisition is veteran forward Steve Sullivan, a winger who scored 48 points with Pittsburgh and might act as Ray Whitney-lite (health permitting).
Phoenix could gain a significant offensive boost from its much-touted defense, too. If Yandle doesn’t get traded, he should provide points while many believe that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is on the verge of a breakout season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)