Jul 21, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
The shootout might be a “skills competition,” but the league’s best players aren’t always so dominant in shootouts. NHL.com’s John Kreiser collected stats both obvious and obscure from the seven seasons of the shootout (here and here), including these interesting bits:
- There are four players who haven’t scored in the shootout despite getting nine chances (the most attempts without scoring): Sean Bergenheim, Patrik Berglund, Chuck Kobasew and Clarke MacArthur.
- Big stars don’t always see their talents translate to one-on-one situations with goalies. Steven Stamkos went 0-for-7 in 2010-11 (the worst that season) and is a mediocre 5-for-25 in his career. Joe Sakic, Marian Gaborik and Jarome Iginla suffered through 0-fer seasons, too, so he shouldn’t feel too bad … especially since Kreiser points out that sniper James Neal once went 0-for-10, the worst shootout season to date.
- Cam Ward is 11-22 in shootouts while Niklas Backstrom‘s .571 save percentage is the worst among shootout goalies who’ve faced 75 shots or more.
- Ilya Kovalcuk provided value beyond his 37 goals and 83 points. Kreiser points out that Kovalchuk broke a record for total shootout goals in a season (11) and shootout-winners (seven) as the New Jersey Devils won 12 extra points.
- Martin Brodeur even dominates shootout history among goalies. His 42 shootout victories gives him a slight edge on Henrik Lundqvist‘s 41. (Brodeur is 42-21 while Lundqvist is 41-27).
- Kreiser reports that the Atlantic Division has been the most successful group in the shootout while the Central Division has enjoyed the least.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)