Jul 21, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
The shootout might be a “skills competition,” but the league’s best players aren’t always so dominant in shootouts. NHL.com’s John Kreiser collected stats both obvious and obscure from the seven seasons of the shootout (here and here), including these interesting bits:
- There are four players who haven’t scored in the shootout despite getting nine chances (the most attempts without scoring): Sean Bergenheim, Patrik Berglund, Chuck Kobasew and Clarke MacArthur.
- Big stars don’t always see their talents translate to one-on-one situations with goalies. Steven Stamkos went 0-for-7 in 2010-11 (the worst that season) and is a mediocre 5-for-25 in his career. Joe Sakic, Marian Gaborik and Jarome Iginla suffered through 0-fer seasons, too, so he shouldn’t feel too bad … especially since Kreiser points out that sniper James Neal once went 0-for-10, the worst shootout season to date.
- Cam Ward is 11-22 in shootouts while Niklas Backstrom‘s .571 save percentage is the worst among shootout goalies who’ve faced 75 shots or more.
- Ilya Kovalcuk provided value beyond his 37 goals and 83 points. Kreiser points out that Kovalchuk broke a record for total shootout goals in a season (11) and shootout-winners (seven) as the New Jersey Devils won 12 extra points.
- Martin Brodeur even dominates shootout history among goalies. His 42 shootout victories gives him a slight edge on Henrik Lundqvist‘s 41. (Brodeur is 42-21 while Lundqvist is 41-27).
- Kreiser reports that the Atlantic Division has been the most successful group in the shootout while the Central Division has enjoyed the least.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)