Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
That’s a significant raise over the $2,350,000 he made in 2011-12, but based on Cap Geek’s numbers, the St. Louis Blues were operating under the salary floor, so they can certainly afford the hit. More importantly, this contract extension means that the two sides won’t have to go to arbitration on Friday.
Oshie set new career-highs last season with 19 goals and 54 points in 80 games on a team that struggled offensively. With the way the market value for top-six forwards has been skyrocketing lately, this deal seems perfectly reasonable. It might even look like a great signing if Oshie can continue to improve over the next couple of years.
With Oshie now locked up, the St. Louis Blues have him, David Backes, and David Perron all signed through at least 2015-16 for an annual cap hit of roughly $12.5 million. That’s not too punishing — even if the new CBA ends up reducing the salary cap — and it provides them with plenty of flexibility to re-sign Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund, Alex Pietrangelo, and Kevin Shattenkirk, who are all scheduled to become restricted free agents next summer.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)