Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 AM EST
That’s a significant raise over the $2,350,000 he made in 2011-12, but based on Cap Geek’s numbers, the St. Louis Blues were operating under the salary floor, so they can certainly afford the hit. More importantly, this contract extension means that the two sides won’t have to go to arbitration on Friday.
Oshie set new career-highs last season with 19 goals and 54 points in 80 games on a team that struggled offensively. With the way the market value for top-six forwards has been skyrocketing lately, this deal seems perfectly reasonable. It might even look like a great signing if Oshie can continue to improve over the next couple of years.
With Oshie now locked up, the St. Louis Blues have him, David Backes, and David Perron all signed through at least 2015-16 for an annual cap hit of roughly $12.5 million. That’s not too punishing — even if the new CBA ends up reducing the salary cap — and it provides them with plenty of flexibility to re-sign Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund, Alex Pietrangelo, and Kevin Shattenkirk, who are all scheduled to become restricted free agents next summer.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)