Jul 20, 2012, 10:09 AM EST
Sam Gagner is set for another year in Edmonton.
Gagner inked a one-year deal with the Oilers worth $3.2 million, thus avoiding arbitration. It works out to be a nearly $1 million raise for the centerman and comes off a season that saw him put up 47 points, his best scoring season since his rookie year. Gagner made headlines this past season thanks to an eight point outburst against Chicago on February 2 that saw him score four goals and add four assists.
The curious part about Gagner inking just a one-year deal is what it means for his future in Edmonton. He’s just 22 years-old going on 23 meaning he’s very much part of the youth movement there but after five average seasons, the Oilers may be hedging their bets on just what his potential is in the league. A one-year deal like this could mean the Oilers are looking for him to prove himself before committing big years and big money to him.
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 8
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 22
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 27
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 69
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (72)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)