Jul 20, 2012, 8:43 PM EST
The Rangers’ interest in Doan was revealed weeks ago, which is noteworthy even if Doan has repeatedly stated his preference to stay with the Phoenix Coyotes. Before the Coyotes get too nervous and Rangers fans get too excited, it’s important to note that Doan was also in New York for the latest round of CBA discussions.
Pat Leonard reports that Doan said he wants to make the decision as soon as he can and that Doan “didn’t rule the Rangers out.” Leonard also points out some areas of familiarity between the power forward and the Rangers’ staff.
Doan has relationships up and down the Rangers coaching staff: Assistant GM/assistant coach Jim Schoenfeld was Doan’s head coach for two seasons in Phoenix. John Tortorella was the assistant those two seasons in 1997-98 and 1998-99. Goaltending coach Benoit Allaire was an assistant for seven years in Phoenix, and assistant coach Mike Sullivan played as Doan’s teammate from 1998 through 2002.
Doan’s agent says he hopes things work out with the Coyotes.
This process could take weeks.
Red Wings are reportedly “waiting on” Doan.
The Penguins made an offer, too.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32