Jul 20, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
The Rangers’ interest in Doan was revealed weeks ago, which is noteworthy even if Doan has repeatedly stated his preference to stay with the Phoenix Coyotes. Before the Coyotes get too nervous and Rangers fans get too excited, it’s important to note that Doan was also in New York for the latest round of CBA discussions.
Pat Leonard reports that Doan said he wants to make the decision as soon as he can and that Doan “didn’t rule the Rangers out.” Leonard also points out some areas of familiarity between the power forward and the Rangers’ staff.
Doan has relationships up and down the Rangers coaching staff: Assistant GM/assistant coach Jim Schoenfeld was Doan’s head coach for two seasons in Phoenix. John Tortorella was the assistant those two seasons in 1997-98 and 1998-99. Goaltending coach Benoit Allaire was an assistant for seven years in Phoenix, and assistant coach Mike Sullivan played as Doan’s teammate from 1998 through 2002.
Doan’s agent says he hopes things work out with the Coyotes.
This process could take weeks.
Red Wings are reportedly “waiting on” Doan.
The Penguins made an offer, too.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)