Jul 20, 2012, 8:43 PM EST
The Rangers’ interest in Doan was revealed weeks ago, which is noteworthy even if Doan has repeatedly stated his preference to stay with the Phoenix Coyotes. Before the Coyotes get too nervous and Rangers fans get too excited, it’s important to note that Doan was also in New York for the latest round of CBA discussions.
Pat Leonard reports that Doan said he wants to make the decision as soon as he can and that Doan “didn’t rule the Rangers out.” Leonard also points out some areas of familiarity between the power forward and the Rangers’ staff.
Doan has relationships up and down the Rangers coaching staff: Assistant GM/assistant coach Jim Schoenfeld was Doan’s head coach for two seasons in Phoenix. John Tortorella was the assistant those two seasons in 1997-98 and 1998-99. Goaltending coach Benoit Allaire was an assistant for seven years in Phoenix, and assistant coach Mike Sullivan played as Doan’s teammate from 1998 through 2002.
Doan’s agent says he hopes things work out with the Coyotes.
This process could take weeks.
Red Wings are reportedly “waiting on” Doan.
The Penguins made an offer, too.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)