Jul 20, 2012, 8:43 PM EST
The Rangers’ interest in Doan was revealed weeks ago, which is noteworthy even if Doan has repeatedly stated his preference to stay with the Phoenix Coyotes. Before the Coyotes get too nervous and Rangers fans get too excited, it’s important to note that Doan was also in New York for the latest round of CBA discussions.
Pat Leonard reports that Doan said he wants to make the decision as soon as he can and that Doan “didn’t rule the Rangers out.” Leonard also points out some areas of familiarity between the power forward and the Rangers’ staff.
Doan has relationships up and down the Rangers coaching staff: Assistant GM/assistant coach Jim Schoenfeld was Doan’s head coach for two seasons in Phoenix. John Tortorella was the assistant those two seasons in 1997-98 and 1998-99. Goaltending coach Benoit Allaire was an assistant for seven years in Phoenix, and assistant coach Mike Sullivan played as Doan’s teammate from 1998 through 2002.
Doan’s agent says he hopes things work out with the Coyotes.
This process could take weeks.
Red Wings are reportedly “waiting on” Doan.
The Penguins made an offer, too.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)