Jul 20, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
The Rangers’ interest in Doan was revealed weeks ago, which is noteworthy even if Doan has repeatedly stated his preference to stay with the Phoenix Coyotes. Before the Coyotes get too nervous and Rangers fans get too excited, it’s important to note that Doan was also in New York for the latest round of CBA discussions.
Pat Leonard reports that Doan said he wants to make the decision as soon as he can and that Doan “didn’t rule the Rangers out.” Leonard also points out some areas of familiarity between the power forward and the Rangers’ staff.
Doan has relationships up and down the Rangers coaching staff: Assistant GM/assistant coach Jim Schoenfeld was Doan’s head coach for two seasons in Phoenix. John Tortorella was the assistant those two seasons in 1997-98 and 1998-99. Goaltending coach Benoit Allaire was an assistant for seven years in Phoenix, and assistant coach Mike Sullivan played as Doan’s teammate from 1998 through 2002.
Doan’s agent says he hopes things work out with the Coyotes.
This process could take weeks.
Red Wings are reportedly “waiting on” Doan.
The Penguins made an offer, too.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 4
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)