Jul 20, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes already admitted that they’re interested in signing Alexander Semin “on a short-term basis.” Two weeks passed since that news surfaced, yet Chip Alexander reports that Canes GM Jim Rutherford continues to search for a top-six forward and specifically hopes to add Semin via a one-year deal.
(Alexander also passes along word that the Hurricanes want to add a “tough guy” for their fourth line.)
Eric Staal recently said that Carolina could be “one elite forward” away from being a top team in the East. Semin has plenty of detractors, yet he also has three 34+ goal seasons – and almost 200 career goals – to his name. After adding Eric’s brother Jordan Staal, Semin could add a very different element to the mix (including a dangerous right-handed shot).
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'