Jul 20, 2012, 9:42 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes already admitted that they’re interested in signing Alexander Semin “on a short-term basis.” Two weeks passed since that news surfaced, yet Chip Alexander reports that Canes GM Jim Rutherford continues to search for a top-six forward and specifically hopes to add Semin via a one-year deal.
(Alexander also passes along word that the Hurricanes want to add a “tough guy” for their fourth line.)
Eric Staal recently said that Carolina could be “one elite forward” away from being a top team in the East. Semin has plenty of detractors, yet he also has three 34+ goal seasons – and almost 200 career goals – to his name. After adding Eric’s brother Jordan Staal, Semin could add a very different element to the mix (including a dangerous right-handed shot).
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 9
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15