Jul 20, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes already admitted that they’re interested in signing Alexander Semin “on a short-term basis.” Two weeks passed since that news surfaced, yet Chip Alexander reports that Canes GM Jim Rutherford continues to search for a top-six forward and specifically hopes to add Semin via a one-year deal.
(Alexander also passes along word that the Hurricanes want to add a “tough guy” for their fourth line.)
Eric Staal recently said that Carolina could be “one elite forward” away from being a top team in the East. Semin has plenty of detractors, yet he also has three 34+ goal seasons – and almost 200 career goals – to his name. After adding Eric’s brother Jordan Staal, Semin could add a very different element to the mix (including a dangerous right-handed shot).
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 7
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 13
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6