Jul 20, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes already admitted that they’re interested in signing Alexander Semin “on a short-term basis.” Two weeks passed since that news surfaced, yet Chip Alexander reports that Canes GM Jim Rutherford continues to search for a top-six forward and specifically hopes to add Semin via a one-year deal.
(Alexander also passes along word that the Hurricanes want to add a “tough guy” for their fourth line.)
Eric Staal recently said that Carolina could be “one elite forward” away from being a top team in the East. Semin has plenty of detractors, yet he also has three 34+ goal seasons – and almost 200 career goals – to his name. After adding Eric’s brother Jordan Staal, Semin could add a very different element to the mix (including a dangerous right-handed shot).
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39